New replacement updraft carbs

Are there any companies offering new replacement updraft carburetors other than Zenith? And, does anyone have any experience with the new Zenith carbs? I would like to purchase a modern updraft carb, but want to do some research first on whats best. Thanks

Guest De Soto Frank

Don't know about "new", but many cab-over-engine trucks up through the 1950s with six-cylinder engines ( Chevy, GMC, Dodge) used the Carter BB1 updraft, which is about as "modern" an updraft as could be reasonably expected; they have an idle and high-speed circuit, as well as an accelerator pump.

They were cast-iron-bodied, and are free (?) of "pot-metal curse"... the Chevy and Dodge versions were sized for engines between 216 & 265 cid. Bigger trucks such as Mack or White may have mounting flanges too large to fit an auto engine.

I was just looking through a tractor supply catalog last night ( Valu-Bilt) and they seem to have "new" replacement carbs for the Zenith and Marvel-Schebler carbs used on Ford N-model and Farmall, but these are smaller carbs, designed to work with four-cyllinder engines of 150 cid or so... I believe both carbs have adjustable main jets, but I have never seen an "agricultural" carb outfitted with an accelerator pump...

Hope this is of some help...

As far as I am aware, Zenith is the only company still in business producing updraft carburetors.

There are a number of companies who have built universal (and sometimes specific) replacement carburetors over the years.

In my opinion, the better ones are:

Zenith (63, 263 series - obsolete) (9.5 scale 1 - 10)(price reasonable, parts reasonable)

Stromberg (SF, SFM series - obsolete) (9.5 scale 1 - 10) (price reasonable, parts expensive)

Carter (BB updraft series - obsolete) (9 scale 1 - 10) (price very expensive, parts reasonable)

Zenith (68, 267 series - current) (6 scale 1 - 10) (price inexpensive, parts inexpensive)

Sizes:

S.A.E. size 1 and 2 (all of the above)

S.A.E. size 3 (Zenith 63, 263; Stromberg SF, SFM series; Carter BB updraft)

S.A.E. size 4 and 5 (Zenith 63, 263 series; Stromberg SF, SFM series)

Caviats:

Both the Zenith 63 and Stromberg SF series had some use on stationary engines (no power circuit, no pump circuit). This is also true of the current production Zenith units. Many individuals prefer to have these circuits present.

The Carter had many original uses. To be really useful, one should have the extended throttle shafts and externally adjustable main metering jet (or be calibrated for a specific application by a professional).

Most newer carburetors are designed to be used with a fuel pump (pressure). If one applies one of these to a vehicle which is gravity feed, one needs to modify the fuel inlet valve in the carburetor.

Over the years, we have sold several hundred of the above units; so have quite a bit of experience with them.

There were other companies producing replacement carburetors. We have a listing somewhere of about 500 different carburetor companies; but the above would be our recommendations.

Jon.