Vibrations At Highway Speeds

Guest 66olds

Guest 66olds

Good evening all! Hope everyones fourth was well. Any ideas out there on what could cause vibrations? It starts mostly around 50 mph and up. Not so much just cruising around. Tires and rims are brand new and were balanced bought at the begining of the season last year. Over the winter they were stored in my cellar stacked on wood. Im not sure that is it and before I take them all off and cart them in to be checked I was looking for an opinion. Thank you.

Is the vibration coming from the front or rear? Here's how to tell which if you don't already know. If you feel the vibration through the steering wheel it's the front end, if you feel it in the seat of your pants its the rear wheels or in the drive train. Rear wheel/drive train are usually (a) driveshaft or possibly worn U-joints (B) rear wheels not balanced © worn tires (d) possibly worn shocks and/or springs. Front end is (a) wheels not balanced, (B) worn tires © alignment problem - this will normally cause worn tires (d) warped brake rotors (e) loose front end components, i.e. ball joints, tie rods, etc. Some shops balance tires to about 55 MPH on their machines and after that you're on your own. If you can't isolate it, you'll need a pro to take a test drive. You can end up throwing a lot of money at a problem like this, so my advice would be to see a pro.

Guest 66olds

thanks for the reply. Last summer when I finished the car I put brand new wheels and tires on it that came balanced. I also had a front end alignment done. I was told changing front springs and upper ball joints would not require another front end alignment. Maybe thats wrong I will bring it in to be checked out. I was not happy that the upper joints I changed out when I restored the car were already shot. Dont know what caused it but I changed them both from moog. Hard to tell where its vibrating from seems like the whole car is shuddering. Thanks for the help anyway appreciate it.