16'' Radial WWW Tires

buick840

I recall this being discussed before but do you think I could find the post! So I will ask my question.

What brand of 16 inch Wide White Wall Tire does every one recommend?

I would be replacing 700/16 Firestone standard tires.

I recall Diamond Back radials as one that seemed to be in favour. From what I can see they don't manufacture the tire but apply the white wall to tires they purchase.Someone please correct here if I'm wrong. If this is the case, is this how other WWW tires are produced or is the Whitewall included in the manufacturing process?

I'd be interested to hear what 16 inch WWW Radial tires other Buicks owners recommend.

Brian Flynn buickman@bigpond.net.au

In prior times (as in the 1960s and such), ALL tires had a strip of white rubber in the sidewall area, just that in blackwall tires, it was left covered rather than the outer black rubber being ground (machined) off to reveal the existing white rubber area. Even as late as the middle 1980s, some new car dealers (or used car dealers) would order new vehicles with the standard blackwall tires and then have a vendor come around and make them whitewalls (while still on the car). I don't know if current tires still use the white rubber hidden in the sidewall, but I somewhat doubt it.

I would be more concerned about the type of wheel you'll be using . . . and it's long-term compatibility with radial tires than how the wide whitewall was "done". Key thing in using a modern radial tire is that they will most probably be too wide in section width, compared to what you now have or what body clearances might exist in the vehicle (think "hitting a bump while turning").

As always, check all of the repro tire websites (including Diamondback Classics and Coker and others) for the best match of what you desire.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

I bought Diamondbacks when they first came out. They were definitely a whitewall glued onto a fairly cheap radial. Once I figured that out, I thought they were pretty pricey: It was basically a $50 tire they were selling for $120.

I had these tires on my car for six years, we drove it thousands of miles. The car drove beautifully and the whitewalls stayed on there OK, though they did yellow somewhat around the outer edges -- but they looked pretty good anyway. I understand that Diamondback has improved their processes so that yellowing is not a problem. They will also put a whitewall on just about any tire you want, as long as they can get them.

Mine wore out in the front, mainly due to allignment issues. I always thought the aspect ratio of the tires was too "fat", the tires had a street-rod look on my 1940 LaSalle with 15" wheels. Diamondback is offering a lot more sizes now, be sure to check the circumference and width to convince yourself they will look OK on your car. A modern 75% aspect ratio tire does not look all that great on an old car -- but there are a few 85% tires out there that look better.

I think that the Coker radial is built from the ground up as a WWW radial -- but I have heard people complain that these tires delaminate and don't stay round or in balance. They sure look good, but they are very expensive.

Goods luck!

Bill.

ps. I now have blackwall 700-15 Light Truck radials on my car. These are 85% aspect ratio tires and they cost $100 each. Once I got used to the blackwalls, they look OK and are probably more accurate for the period that WWW's -- and they drive beautifully with very light steering.