37 century hoods vs. 38 special hoods

Guest 38jean40

Guest 38jean40

my husband has me sending this post so if it off the wall please let me know and I will be sure to tell him !!

the problem is that our 37 2dr century has a slightly damaged hood..as we all know the 37 century parts are hard to find...so he is thinking of taking a 38 special hood which is shorter on the top part but looks like the bottom part is the same length and salvaging the bottom and adding the extra inches to the top ( some how ) (of course we have no idea on how to take the hinge pin out of the existing hood--help !!!)

so any ideas????????

thanks for any ideas on this or where to find a real good complete hood for this 37 century

jrc

tjcjean@earthlink.net

Guest dabecker65@gmail.com

Another problem for you...

'38 has fixed side panels that are not connected to the top, but bolted to the body and radiator shell. The 38 40 series side panel will be shorter than the 60 series also. But, with enough time, skill & $$$$$...

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear 38jean40:

It's even worse than grump dad says. You have to remember that a Century is about 4 inches longer in the hood than a Special, but the body width at the cowl is the same between a Century and a Special. A moment's thought on these two facts will tell you that the taper angle from front to back is different by around 6 degrees. Either straighten what you've got or find another one. An easier alternative would to make a complete new one! Sorry to be a spoiler, but it's easier now and less expensive than after you've ruined a perfectly good 1938 hood.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Perhaps one from a Roadmaster or Limited would fit a Century? They all used the larger engine and had longer hoods. I don't know if they are all the same, but it might improve your odds of finding a correct hood if they are.

Hope this helps.

Guest dabecker65@gmail.com

Dave is right. I forgot to think about taper angle to radiator shell...

A good sheet metal shop should be able to repair or fab your hood as most reasonable cost. Years ago, a friend was restoring a 48 Pontiac convertible that had rolled down a hill and impaled itself into a truck load of telephone poles, tearing a gaping hole in the left front part of the hood. The shop he took it to patched and filled and, in the end, one could never tell anything had happened to it. Good Luck!

Guest 38jean40

thanks for all the replys...........will see if Dave T. has anything of interest.

how aboout a 37 special hood? any closer?

we will keep looking for the century it does seem alot cheaper in the long run...of course now w/o the hood on it does look like a rod......maybe we can just tell people that that is what it is an older rod

jean