correct color of paint for a 53 98 carburator

my53olds

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello,

I bought from Westwood a can of spray that supposedly is for carburetors but the color does not match the original. Does anyone know where I can find the correct color?

Thanks </div></div>

In 1953 Oldsmobile used both Carter and Rochester carburetors.

For the Rochester, the zinc alloy parts would have been "chromated", a chemical process which etches the metal for oxidation protection leaving a "greenish-goldish" finish. The steel pieces would have been electro-plated with yellow zinc. The active ingredient in the "chromate" mix is chromic acid, a carcinogen, which is not available to the hobbyist. The castings, if chromated, must be sent to a "metal-laundry" company.

For the Carter, the zinc alloy parts would have been chromated. The steel pieces would have been electro-plated. Carter used white zinc, yellow zinc, white cadmium, and yellow cadmium for plating; however the majority was white zinc.

Carters with cast-iron throttle bodies had the cast iron painted with a proprietary paint which was about a 60 percent gloss. Other manufacturers (in this time period) did not paint the cast iron.

Jon.