Don't laugh..... Anybody have a 27 Ball carb?

Guest Hockeye

Guest Stephen_W_Davis

Howdy! I have this 27 Stude Commander, I think with the "Big Six" engine, but it is supposed to have the pot metal Ball carburetor. These disintegrated, as was the carburetor on the car, which was fragmenting and was cobbled together with epoxy. Turned out the carb on it was a TILLOTSON, so presumably the original had fallen apart years ago. A guy who seems to know his stuff sold me a Carter carburator and an adapter fitting, because the Carter is oriented 90 degrees off. I haven't done anything, yet, as the adapter doohickey needs to be machined.

So.... what do I do? Figure out how to mount the Carter? The rods, etc., have all been altered to handle the ancient Tillotson, so I have to start new, even if you have a new, correct carb for me. I don't mind cutting corners with an incorrect, but workable, carb.

Steve

Guest Stephen_W_Davis

Well, do you have any idea what would work for the 27 Commander? Maybe the info I've heard about the B&B carb is bogus???? Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steve,

All the Penberthy Ball and Ball carbs that I have and have seen are brass.

Joel </div></div>

The early Penberthy carbs were brass; the later ones zinc alloy (pot metal). Quite rare to find a zinc alloy Penberthy that is still intact, but they were produced.

Jon.