64 Dynamic 88 engine color

rfortuna

I have a 64 Dynamic 88 convertible with a 394 2 barrel motor. The motor has never been painted, and its a green color similar to a Buick nailhead. I'm trying to buy paint for it, and everything I find shows that the motor should be red? Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Should this engine be red, and if not, where can I get the green paint?

Thanks, Randy

Low compression motors were green in '61 and '62, probably in '64 as well. A shop manual would tell you for sure. Don't know what to tell you about paint. I've never really seen any available. I think it's the same green they used for the high compression motors in '60, but I don't think I've ever seen that, either.

Paul

Check with Fusick Automotive at 860 623 1583 or 1589. They have OEM colors for all the other years and can probably tell you if the green used on other years is correct for the 61-64 low compression engines.

Good luck with your project, Dave.

post-40107-143137895678_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">His '64 394 is more than likely high compression</div></div>

"More than likely" being the key words. The low compression motors were an available option and it is possible that he could have one. I guess we need motor numbers to know for sure...

Paul