Motorola Golden Voice Radio

NHcarnut

Guest ZondaC12

attached is the "golden voice" radio in my 1938 buick special. it looks like yours is probably 40s-50s.

i jumped on this thread when i saw it, since ive been curious about my radio since i pulled the car out of its slumber. i have searched several times on google for anything about my radio and i cant find anything. every picture of a '38 buick ive seen has had a radio unit that fits up behind the dash and behind the "radio grille" and the knobs are a part of it, not connected by cables to it like mine. so is the speaker. its all one unit, mine has a firewall mounted speaker. i even pulled the cover off th thing and theres a sticker with patents on it and its dated 1937, probably when my car was actually being made. so its original. could anyone shed some light on this subject, im very curious...

one thing though--i have a knob on the dashboard that has the same function as the knob on yours--"St Car", "City", "Country". anyone know about this? i also have another knob right next to that one that has these options:"Music", "Voice", and "Bass". i have no idea what this could possibly be for...

post-39688-143137893543_thumb.jpg

Hi. the only thing I know about radio's is how to turn one on..!

but I might have an information source for you.

There is a radio shop in Anaheim, California, that is operated by a fellow who is a second generation repairman. His father started the business in the 20's, and Dan was born and raised in the shop. This guy won't work on anything that doesn't have tubes. Nothing modern in his shop. I started dealing with him years ago when I was collecting 110V radios, and he has restored the electronics on several for me. He also recently restored the radio out of my '51 S88. His shop is stuffed with antique radios so deep its hard to walk around.

The man is a wealth of information on old radios, and he has facinating stories of the days of old.

The man's name is Dan Dollar and the name of the shop is Dollar radio.

Dollar Radio

726 Anaheim Blvd.

Anaheim California

92805 Ph # (714) 774-6770

On the top of his card, it says: specializing in antique auto & Home radio

If you call, you may have to try several times during the day, as he is semi-retired and works his own hours.

He did my Olds radio for $90.00 plus parts, which I believe to be his standard charge. It took a couple of weeks, so turn around isn't bad.

He stands behind his work and I have home radios that are still working after 10 years or more.

Whether you need work done, or just information, this guy can probably supply the answers.

Good luck, and let us know if you were able to get any help......

• 11 months later...

i have a knob on the dashboard that has the same function as the knob on yours--"St Car", "City", "Country". anyone know about this? i also have another knob right next to that one that has these options:"Music", "Voice", and "Bass".

The City / Country is likely a "local" or "distant" range setting. I'm guessing the other is 'tone', i.e. less for voice... Nice Buick, I used to live in Saratoga Springs, had relatives in Guilderland...