Clocks

egor

I've got a 38-41, and wonder if anyone's installed a battery-powered quartz movement in the clock of a similar-year car. I'm not too concerned about preserving the appearance of the back of the clock.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you asking this because your clock is not working? This past weekend, I decided to take apart the clock in my '51 to see why it wasn't working. I imagine the clocks didn't change much over the years. The design is ingenious! Its basically a self winding watch with a main spring and all the works, with a small electic motor that operates only for a short burst at a time. When the works wind down, a set of contact points close that cause the motor to turn maybe only 15 degrees. The points then open, turning off the motor, and this winds the mainspring enough for maybe two minutes of operation. It does this over and over again. I sprayed the works with gumout to free up anything that might have been stuck, and set the balance wheel to rocking. At first it would only go a couple of seconds, but each time I started it going it went a little longer. When it wound down to where the contact points closed, I touched a 6V power source to the electrical lead, and sure enough, the motor jumped ahead and wound the clock. I kept squirting gumout and let it run down and rewind a few times. I put it back together, reinstalled it, replaced the fuse which had burned out and now I have a working original clock again! I'd recommend trying to clean your clock before replacing the works.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Pete.

Somebody sheared off the wiring long ago, I'm guessing because they were tired of a malfunctioning clock running down the battery. Good to hear you had some luck with yours.

I'll give it a try.

Egor

Guest imported_JPIndusi

I recently converted a 1951-52 Buick Special clock to a quartz movement that runs on a single AA 1.5 volt battery. I was able to re-use the minute hand from the original movement but used a new hour hand that looks very close to the original. From the front it is practically impossible to tell it is a conversion.

Joe, BCA 33493

Hi, Joe.

I gotta learn to be patient!

I tried to clean the clock up, it still wouldn't work, so I took it to a speedometer shop for a quartz retrofit. A $10 1.5v quartz movement you can buy on the internet instead of a $225 12v quartz replacement! I hope everybody with the car clock blues reads your reply.

Thanks.

Egor BCA 41415