swaping 6-12 volt system

wingking7

I am looking at buying a 51 desoto from a body shop friend of mine, my main question and concern is the orignal 6 volt system. I would like to know how hard it is to do the swap out, it currently has a flat 6 in it. Or is there a better way to go about it if i am interested in putting a newer stero and alarm in the vechile? thank you for any help.

• 3 months later...
Guest aglbakers

I have a 1953 studebaker commander sedan, I was going to change it over to 12volt but then I was like, what for? I left well enough alone and put the stereo in the glove box, and the amp and speakers in the trunk, and put four twelve volt batteries back there for support. It works fine and I just charge the batteries when I get home.

• 2 months later...

Changing to 12 volts is not impossible but requires a couple hundred dollars worth of parts and some work.

It would be easier to leave it stock. Install a 12 volt battery just for your stereo and charge it up with a plug in battery charger. Friend of mine did this years ago on a 6 volt VW and it worked great. He would put the charger on overnight once a week or so. He drove the car every day and played the stereo all the time.