Mystery 8 lug wheel

wpphytek

Guest De Soto Frank

Is the center section (where the bolt holes are) depressed, and includes four hub-cap clips equally spaced around the inside edge?

Is there a tire on it, and if so, what size / brand please....

Yes a pic would help, but if you can answer the above questions, I think I know what you're looking at...

wink.gif

West is correct. It's not for a Zephyr, Zephyr used 16" wheels. They are the same bolt pattern as the Fords in corresponding years. (they used the "wide span" on the cars with cable brakes, 5 hole.) I own a 36 and drive it frequently and can't remember offhand the exact rim width. see attached photo.

post-31357-143137889191_thumb.jpg

The trunk is huge Frank, but the problem is that the intended access is via the fold down rear seatback. The decklid is pretty much for access to the spare and jack, toolkit, etc. They redesigned it later, (39 maybe?) so that the spare lays flat, recessed into the trunk floor with a cargo "shelf" covering it. You have about the same room, only the shape is different, and the access is better.

Guest De Soto Frank

Ok, I'll reveal my "guess"...

Lon, I suspect that your wheel in question is from a Chevy or GMC truck, 1947 - 196?...

The 3/4 and 1 ton trucks frequently used a 17" eight-lug wheel, with "large rim flanges", at least on the outside ring, which is secured with a locking-ring. If this rim is wearing a 7.00 x 17" tire, of 6-plys or more, it is definitely from a truck.

The maximum number of lug holes on cars made after the wire-wheel era was six lugs. I think Packard might've had 7-lug wires into the early '30s, but there were 18" to 20 " wheels.