Packard Horn Button Mystery...

flackmaster

Joel - I don't think its the 'normal' 41-42 & later style that goes into the 3 bar horn ring - that center emblem is larger, and there are more rings. See ebay item 4618090863 up right now. Are you thinking it goes in the "K" wheel? What is confusing me is the blue enamel...backer is copper, or heavy copper plated.

Guest imported_Packards1

David, I have several of those horn emblems. I remember seeing them in the circular die cast chrome frame without a horn bar. I'll see if I can dig one up in the housing. I have seen them on interior shots of cars for sale on eBay. Joel

Guest imported_Packards1

I just found a new one of the emblems. However it was not in a horn ring. I will probably have to wait until the national meet and look at some cars for the application.

Guest bkazmer

This fits in either the chrome circle or circle and 3-spoke ring bezels. I believe that the brass part was painted tan. I redid one of these and the remaining paint, which I believe was original, was tan with blue, white and red. This fits the 41 -7 T wheel I believe which further confuses things. The 41-2 Senior T wheel has a chrome center spoke and I believe a plastic center button of different design.

In exchange for this nice info please don't make fun of my having this wheel on my 160 until my ratty one is better.

Both the 1941-2 "T"-wheel and "K" wheel used the same horn ring and horn button. This button is for neither. The senior series car had a 1-inch (or so) brass ring underneath the plastic cover, while the lesser series used (I think) a grey plastic type ring. And I think the Clippers used the same steering wheels. If I had to guess, I'd say the button is a little older, possibly from 1938-39???

Still a mystery then. The 38-39 Juniors used a stamped metal horn button, or with a Banjo wheel, a plastic button with a metal insert. I believe 39 Super used the plastic as well. (was there a 39 Su8 standard wheel?) Definitely not 38 Super as I have a friend who has one of those. 40 Junior used the metal button with the Packard script, or a plastic button with Banjo. Seniors used the Plastic button, I'm pretty sure.

Definitely not 35-37 Junior.

Anybody have 35-37 Standard 8 or Senior knowledge???

Guest bkazmer

The seniors have the chrome blow ring "growing" from the same chrome bezel. In a rare and amazing instance of Packard standardization, the 2 center emblems, 2 bezels and 2 wheels all fit with each other.

1941 110 Standard Wheel, which is exactly what that coupe is, not a Deluxe or Special. Just a plain jane 110. Joel - thanks for the definitive identification, kudos to you. I was not familiar with this wheel. I have never claimed to be a '41 guy, and certainly not a '42 guy either. To my belief then, this would be 356978 4.1021, as in horn button for the standard 41-110 steering wheel, not the Deluxe models at 4.1022 (with the horn ring).

Final comments welcome, of course, otherwise, let this string die.

• 4 years later...
Guest luv2box
Here's pic of '37 Senior HornButton, in Black.

See Attachment:

I just bought a '37 Super8 conver. Victoria with a wrong horn button , I think.Could I send a jpg photo of the button to your e-mail address? What is the address? Thanks, Paul