27&29 Hearse w/o wood

Guest 123studebaker

Guest 123studebaker

Ended up with two old hearse, the 27'has partial wood but not enought to get any kind of pattern to build new frame for sheetmetal. The 29 has no wood, previous owner did frame and body work but then died. Need direction on where to go to get patterns, prints, anything to help build wood frame. Starting from nothing here, any ideas??

Guest 123studebaker

They are definitely Studebakers, the 29 is a GK with a GK1450 6-cyclinder engine, car SN 3752407.

the 27 is a EU with a EU-53163 6-cyclinder engine, car SN 3750188

Looking for wood patterns or ideas.

Years ago I had a basket case 1925 Studebaker model ER sedan. There was some wood body floor to chassis frame work but it was very poor. I measured it carefully and drew up a plan. It actually had several "layers" of elevations and as you worked toward the rear of the vehicle it stacked one frame work on top of what extended up to the cowl. This was to get high enough to rest on the "Kick Up" over the rear axle. Anyway I found a wood vendor who had 10 quarter Ash lumber and bought all the rough wood I needed. Then I shopped around for a mill shop to plane it to size (About 8 quarter finished). No one would touch it!! They all said their machines were 80 years old and they would only run Pine that was easy on the bearings.

I ended up selling the car as is to another guy and don't know what ever happened with it.

To answer your question, there are no prints or patterns that exist anywhere at this date. Most of the wood was shaped on factory fixtures and I have never seen any prints that dimension the pieces you would want.

Stude8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just finished a 29 President FH 4dr which had no wood for patterns. It a matter of finding a vehicle to photo and measure then take a piece of wood and remove everything which doesnt look like what you need. I wood be glad to help you with anything I can as I took lots of photos as I was building the wood. one thing to remember is all the wood was made by local carpenters in many cases they did it there way. Also the metal skin was put on after the wood frame was finished. E-mail me at davesbsi@grundyec.net

Dave