HOBART Airport Tractor.

oldefar

Hello out there!

Has anyone heard about the HOBART airport tractor? A fellow WPC Club member here in Norway, a good friend of mine, owns a 1953 HOBART airport tractor which originally came with a Chrysler HEMI V8 industrial engine in it. We belive it is a 331 CID. We are seeking any kind of information on it, as well as litrature like Shop Manual, Parts Manual, Sales Broshures and even parts. CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP? It would be very much appreciated. We intend to make an article on it in the WPC NEWS if we can gather enough info. Please e-mail to: theadventurerof_47@hotmail.com THANK YOU!

They still make them. A quick google search turned up this link

Hobart Ground Power

Search for hobart+tractor+aircraft turned up 37,200 hits. Having the model number should help narrow it down a bit.

I'm not sure if this is the same company who makes welders and industrial mixers, but you could try looking for that. They may have also made these for various air forces so some military equipment sites may have some info.

Hope that helps you start finding info.

Even more intriguing were the ground auxilliary power units built by Kurtis-Kraft (famed for their Indianapolis Roadsters in the 50's) for the North American F-100 Super Sabres. Those were powered by Nailhead Buick V8's, and equipped, I believe, with Dynaflow transmissions.

Art

No problem <span style="font-weight: bold">oldefar</span>, I'm intrigued by a restoring any oddball piece of machinery. If you can find the model number of it, we can narrow the search some more. Photos?

Now if you could find one of the old hemi-powered air raid sirens to go with it. Somewhere on the internet there is a website that shows the restoration of one, and I think there is an audio file of it too.

This was fun to see Hornwrecker. I haven't yet seen my friend's airport tracktor, but from his description this may be something like it. Yes, me too, I like all kinds of old machinery. I was only 12 years old in 1959 when I got this old stationary motor going, sitting in an old barn of some people I spendt my school summer vacation with in Sweden. The motor had been sitting there for years, because they couldn't get it started. I almost put fire to the old barn, but I was forgiven because now they could use the motor again. Thank You. Einar.

What about some more fun storys folks ?