lower steering knuckle support bushing

Pete O

Does anyone know the correct way to install the lower steering knuckle support bushing on a 1951 Super? Should it screw into the knuckle support from the front of the car toward the back, or from the back toward the front? Mine was installed from front to back (don't know if it was the original or if it was ever replaced), but in the pictures I've seen in the shop manual, it looks like it shows that it should be installed from the back to the front. However, the support has a little vertical offset in it, and it's offset toward the rear, so it seems to me that this is to make room for the hex head of the bushing on the front side of the support confused.gif. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks

Pete

Guest sixpack2639

Hi Pete, After reading through section 6-2 (Front Wheel Suspension) of the 1951 manual and referring to the suspension on my 51 Special I am convinced that Figure 6-3 (Steering Knuckle Support Pivot Pins) on page 232 is the picture in the manual you are referring to and it depicts the passenger side from the front. The lower pivot pins are supposed to be installed from front to back as shown in the drawing. My front suspension has never been apart and this is how they are installed. The grease fittings are in the front and the nuts are in the back.

I hope that helps, Carl

Carl- thanks for taking the time to look and responding. Yup, figure 6-3 is what I'm looking at, especially, the cutaway view of secion A-A in the lower left. I agree that clearly, this is the passenger side that is depicted, and that the lower pivot pin is installed from the front so that the end with the grease fitting points to the front. But if you look closely at the cutaway, there is a bushing installed in the knuckle support into which the pivot pin is installed. The bushing is threaded outside and inside, and the outside screws into the knuckle support, while the pivot pin screws into the inside of the bushing. The bushing has a hex head, and the cutaway show a head (or a shoulder of some sort) on thre rearward side of the assembley, right where the arrow from the word "bushing" is pointing. This is opposite of how my suspension was assembled before I took it apart. My bushing was screwed in from the front. I'm gonna try putting it all back together today, and it may be that it can only go one way, as after you assemble the upper pivot pins of the support, it may allow clearance for the lower bushing on only one side. Keep your fingers crossed! Thanks again. Pete

Guest sixpack2639

Good luck with it Pete and let me know how you make out. I imagine i'll be doing mine sometime so i'm always looking for first hand experience info. Carl

Well, I put it all together, and after installing the uppper pivot pin first, the lower end of knuckle support intersect the lower A arm in such a way that there really is only one way this can go, othewise the knuckle and bushing would not be centered in the A arm. The bushing needs to go from front to back, which is contrary to the picture in the shop manual!