Parts

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I just finished the restoration of a '30 Commander GJ that looked a lot like yours except it was not a Regal [your car is!-sidemounts,trunk and Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels.] My car had wood spoke wheels and was a 35K mile survivor. If you would like, I could e-mail photos for a guide. I was able to obtain a new casting [Very Good!]of the windshield crank housing that sits on top in a Commander and President from Custom Antique Parts, Stephen Munts, of Spokane,WA. His phone is [509]892-9258. He has a catalog of Early Studie Stuff!...Sam Clay..FL

post-32902-143137884075_thumb.jpg

yea e-mail me some pictures (cr1255000@aol.com) and we have been told that our car is actually a president not a regal. It is actually a 1928 and a half president we were told. So we really don't know what the car is....but we like it a lot lol! Your car looks great! Thanks 1928 Stud

To confirm which engine your car has have you checked the engine number? On the Presidents (1928 1/2 FB Models) the engine number starts with an FB and is located on the front of the engine block just behind the radiator fan. There is a flat surface just below the head and behind the fan bracket. You will need to take a wire brush to this area since it faces up and collects dirt and grease. The engine number will confirm if you have a President engine. The Commander Engine number starts with FD and is located on the side of the block above the water manifold plate about in the center. Another way to tell for sure if your car has a President or Commander engine (I can not tell from the manifold side view of your engine. The Commander water manifold has the 3 or 4 bolts that go through the center of the water manifold to the block. The President water manifold has about 36 bolts that go around the edge of the manifold to the block. If you take a picture of the drivers side of the engine and post it here we will be better able to tell which engine you have. Also, check for your engine number.

Regarding the term "Regal". Studebaker in 1928-29 had 4 model lines. The President, Commander, Dictator and Erskine. Within each line there was a Deluxe model and Basic model. The deluxe model was equipped with sidemounts and wire wheels and is the most obvious deluxe feature. The term Studebaker used to identify the deluxe models was the President State, Commander Regal, Dictator Royal, I don?t recall what the Erskine was called.

Multiple things. Right off the bat I saw that the spark plugs were in groups of 2. The president motor plugs are evenly spaced. The head casting number is visible in the photo, it is definitely a commander number. There are many differences, and this is definitely a commander motor. There should be a firewall tag on the cowl and a frame tag on the drivers side of the frame. The emblem on the dash could of been put there at any time. Body also looks to be Commander from the pictures you show.

Joel

Originally your car would of had an air horn which ducted heated air from the manifold to the carburetor. Later FD cars (after SN 8,013,433) used a Air Maze brand air cleaner which clamped onto the carburetor.

Your car no longer has the original type of carb on it. Whiich is why the adapter plate is installed. Your car originally came with a Stromberg model UX-2. These are very dificult to find, as they are made of pot metal and the majority of them have disintegrated due to the composition of the alloy used at that time.

Joel