Convertible top Hydraulics '69 Electra

pnkmoore

The convertible top on my '69 Electra has started to "stall" while closing, meaning it will open and collapse into the rear with no problem, but when it's time to put the top back up it goes up about two feet and stops. I end up having to get one of my kids to press the top button while I "help" the top close. It worked great until a few weeks ago. I've had the car since early August '05, and before that it was used very sporadically for years and years.

I figured it needed more hydraulic fluid and found the pump, but I can't easily see the writing on the motor housing telling what kind of fluid I'm supposed to put it and, more importantly, where and how I fill it. Before I started tinkering, I thought I'd ask if someone could give me some information on this? I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks!

Patrick in Louisiana

pnkmoore@bellsouth.net

BCA No. 41652

Guest imported_DaveZZZ

Based on my experience with my 67 Olds top...

You could have either brake fluid or ATF in there for fluid. You don't want to mix the two.

About three years ago I was having some problems with my top, and it appeared that I had brake fluid in my system. I flushed it all out, and replaced it with ATF. I didn't do anything fancy to flush it, so I am sure there is still some small amount of brake fluid in there, but it has been great since. The ATF is a much kinder substance in the event of a leak.

However, if you are low on fluid, there has to be a reason. In my case it was simply that the gasket between the two halves of the pump had failed, and I think I paid less that $20 for a rebuild kit. The service manual has good directions on filling and priming the system. However, I do have one adjustment: The manual tells you to modify a reservoir plug with a length of tubing. This is much more of a pain than it is worth. Just got to Home Depot and get a length of tubing with an OD just big enough to stuff into the hole and make a good seal.

-Dave

69electra,

I had the same problem with my 70 Electra. I had plenty of fluid, but the hydraulic arms on the top were wearing out and the pump itself was pushing 20 years old at the time. I went ahead and bought 2 new arms and a pump kit that came with the right hoses, etc. With the wife's supervision of course, we installed the new arms and pump easily. You have to be careful filling it, and need an adapter hose into a resevoir filled with hydraulic fluid to get the air out of the system (which you do as you close the top I think- check me on that!). Read the installation and filling directions carefully.

I used Hydro-Electric. They used to be out of New England, but I think they moved to Florida. They were very helpful with questions and tips to make sure it all worked properly. I would also add, that you need to make sure that the hoses don't get pinched. I found that the hoses moved a lot as they filled, so you have to secure them without letting them get pinched off.

If your system is original and filling it with fluid doesn't help, you may consider replacing the system and getting a reliably working top back. I can dig out the instructions on filling the system if you need them.