Playboy, Davis, Keller and Martin

zak

Hi all

Just found this site, looks great. I am researching car specifications for my own site, and was hoping some knowledgable people on here could help me out please. The Keller Super Chief used a 162 CID Continental engine, and the Martin used a 162 CID Continental engine. Does anyone know if they are the same engine at all? The one reference I have for the Martin calls the Continental engine an "H8", but looking at contemporary (circa 1928) specification tables, the Continental codes are usually a numeral followed by a letter, not the other way around. Any thoughts on this please?

I'm pretty sure that the Davis Divan and the Playboy (both from 1948) use a slightly smaller Continental engine, at 133 CID. Can anyone confirm this please?

Thanks!

Cheers

Zak

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Was Keller you mentioned built in Alabama in the late 40s? If so, you should contact Ronbarn because he has a Keller. Ron is on the forum and you can contqct him through that.

</div></div>

Thanks Dan, it was indeed from Alabama (althougth I had to check quickly as I didn't know off the top of my head). I'll get a hold of Ron. Thanks for the info.

Ciao

Zak

I have a lot of information on Keller including a PP presentation on CD. My Keller is one of three known to still exist. 16 of the 18 cars made in Huntsville, AL (factory located on Redstone Arsenal) during 1948 and 1949 had Hercules IXB3 engines. Two had Continental. If they had gone to production, they planned to use the Continental. Contact me if you want more.

Talked to the guy that owned the Playboy. He said they used both the Continental engine an Hercules. He couldn't remember which was used first but that they completely dropped the one brand for the other. As for the C.I.D., he couldn't remembr it either. This guy has/had a bunch of different orphan cars.