V8 windshields

Guest PackardV8

Guest imported_PackardV8

I now have the windshield removed from my parts Executive. All i need is to find either a 55-57 chev windshield to try fitting to my open parts car OR an open 55-57 (58 too?)chev body that i can try the Exec windshield fitting. I'm will to drive up to 60 miles anywhere with in a 60 mile radius of nashvile tn to give it a try.

Either they fit or they don't. I'm banking that they will. OR Maybe 50 years has changed all of that too?????? This idea of the 55-57 (58?) chev windshield retro fitting to 55-56 Packard has been much maligned. I AM out to prove it to be either right or wrong.

Guest imported_PackardV8

I also have the back lite removed too. If someone can recognize some other popular 50's car that looks the same i'll try it. Sooner or later someone (probably me) is going to brak a windshield and shiit a brick. The 55-57 chev glass from suppliers is about $150. compared to Packard????

Guest imported_Speedster

Maybe you could get one of those Traveling Glass Co. , that come to your house, to bring one out to check the fit, if you tell them you will buy it, if it does.

Guest imported_Packards1

My money is on it not fitting. Someone in the last half century would have figured it long before now if it fit.

Guest imported_PackardV8

"My money is on it not fitting. Someone in the last half century would have figured it long before now if it fit."

Yeah, but it took 50 years and a half dozen people to figure out that contact leaves break in the PB console too. Not to mention all of the oil pump issues. Apparently noone figured any of that out until recent years. SO, WHAT has everyone been doing for the last 50 years anyway???? Looking for 1965 Packard V12's or something????

• 3 weeks later...
Guest imported_PackardV8

Does anyone have the so-called "Crash Sheets" that i have seen advertised on eBay????? I'm sure i don't have to explain where i am going with this one.

Guest imported_PackardV8

ok. Let me put it another way:

If there exists some kind of documentation that shows windshieled opening dimensions (for body shop repair?) then we can compare 55-56 Packard dimensions with 55-58 chev.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok. Let me put it another way:

If there exists some kind of documentation that shows windshieled opening dimensions (for body shop repair?) then we can compare 55-56 Packard dimensions with 55-58 chev. </div></div>

There are a lot of variables to consider: Not just the template dimensions of the glass, but also the width across the A-pillars, angle (tumblehome) of A-pillars and the windshield glass itself, and perhaps most importantly, the degree of curvature across the bottom and top of the opening. Also, while 55-57 Chevies use the same glass for all three years, 58 Chevrolet glass is a different animal entirely, wider body.

Art

Packard V8 -

Now that you have the windshield and back light out, what will you use for gaskets for reinstallation? The price of a new windshield gasket is about $1,000 from Kanter or the manufacturer.

A local restorer, who is no longer in business, told me that he used a long strip of gasket material and "welded" the ends together.

Has anyone an economical solution?

Guest imported_PackardV8

What kind of sealer do modern cars use??????? Some of the modern cars use a sealer from tube rather than a mouldeed seal??????/