1990 rear brake lights

Guest ballmon

Guest ballmon

With the car ignition off, the rear brake lights were still on but the cyclops brake light was not. Repetitive actuating of brake pedal and starting of car did not disengage rear lights. When actuating brake pedal, the cyclops light would light along with the 2 rear lights that where already on. The problem just went away after a few hours. Anyone have any ideas before this drains my battery?

Check the adjustment of the brake switch located under the dash on the brake pedal. It has several switches in it for:<BR>rear brake lights<BR>3rd brake light<BR>ABS<BR>Engine ECM<P>If it is out of adjustment it may be on the edge of turning on (some contacts on some off).<P>If adjustment is no help try unpluging it. If the lights go out then the switch is bad. Don't forget to adjust the new one.<P>The car also has 2 relays in the trunk relay center near the antenia. One for left and one for right side. <P>I think there are 3 brake lights on each side. Two go thru the brake switch. The out side one goes thru the relay. The relay is controlled off the other two bulbs on that side. The ods of both relay circuits shorting at the same time is slim. <P>I would just look at the switch adjustment first.<P>Tom

If your hazard switch/lights work properly and your turn signals also work properly, the problem is probably a defective switch at the brake pedal.<P>If the hazard light do not work it could be the turn signal switch assembly.<P>The brake switch asm has dual contacts..one set go directly to the third brake light, the other feeds through the turn signal switch assembly. <P>------------------<BR>Barney Eaton Reatta technical advisor for BCA and keeper of the Reatta database.