CARFAX ---WARNING

charlie1

I would suggest that everyone get a carfax report on all the cars they own.

I had a carfax report on my daughters 1996 Regal.

It appears that one of the dealers I took the car for service made a mistake and entered it into their computer system. Apparently this dealer transmits data to Carfax. In my case they added 95k to the mileage. This will reduce the value of the car. Now I have to fill out the forms with Carfax to get this mess corrected.

I am not happy with Carfax and have strongly expressed my concerns.

Be very careful. This monitoring has a double edged sword.

You could decrease the value of your car.

Charlie

I would not trust a carfax report, I had a 1993 mustang stolen and never recovered, and to this date when doing the search it comes up clean. I did have a police report on this car, and AAA insurance paid me off. When I asked carfax about this they would never answer why it comes up clean.

Funny this shows up now. Just the other night I took a deposit on a 90 Reatta Convert with 76K miles. The car looks like this mileage, and the interior could easily pass for much lower mileage. The buyer e-mailed me to say there was a single carfax report showing 130K miles. The guy I bought it from insists it is original miles at 76K.

I sold an AMC Spirit for my nephew on ebay a few months ago. This is a one owner car, complete with all paperwork since new. Has 40K miles, put on a few miles at a time-typical little old lady car. It was a base model car, with only the AM radio and power steering as options. The bad door hinge and worn carpet on the driver's side and the near mint rest of the interior seemed to verify low miles put on only a few at a time. The car sold for $600 so it was not like it was worth a ton of money with the low mileage or high mileage. The buyer backed out because carfax said over 100K.

I have a 93 Lincoln Mark VIII that I bought as a total wreck from the insurance pool and fixed it. Shows up clean on Carfax.

Are these just a few coincidences, or is this the norm? It has cost me the sale of 2 cars so far.