How should '31 Model A radiator shellmoun to radiator frame?

djpritchard1

I'm trying to piece things together as they were originally. Previous owner of my ride - a real "cobbler". When I purchased my ride, the radiator shell was tie-wrapped to the holes in the radiator. Now I know Henry didn't have access to tie-wraps!

Like to see some zoomed in pics, if anyone has them. Trying to document the details, and you guys always seem to have the info I'm looking for. Also looking for what the proper hardware is.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

First off you would get more answers if you went over to ahooga.com or fordbarn.com.

The shell is held on by 4 flat head screws (12-24 I think) and a lock washer and a square nut. Not sure if there was a flat washer too. The screws is the same one used to hold the front edge of the gas tank to the firewall.

You also will want to get a copy of the judging standards/ restoration handbook. It is full of little details that help even the guy trying to keep his car like original, but not show.

You will want to think about taking apart the brakes to check for wear and operation. I have seen them installed very incorrectly. A model A will stop surprisingly well if they are correctly rebuild which I would question as being done on your car.