38 v8 ignition questions

gossp

I've got a buddy that's been fighting the ignition on his 38 for some time. He's looking to get things more able to take the abuse his limo business puts on it. Anyone converted these cars to a solid state or other electronic ignition? What are the guys that really drive these cars doing? I've always been a guy of the mindset that you keep it stock and have a few sets of points in the glove box... but that's not working for him. Any advise would be appriciated.

Does the starter spin the engine at normal speed and the engine fails to fire or the starter cranks very slowly, not fast enough to get the engine started?

The Starter will spin the engine pretty well... but not for long. The car has just gotten a 6v alt. installed, but not been back in service to see how things work (hoping to keep the battery up a little better.... the car spends a LOT of time at idle. The ground has been improved (something I always do when starting is an issue).

I'd check out these areas, maybe you already have.

Have the starter rebuilt with new bushings in both ends, a new or rebuilt solenoid and new brushes. You may have a large current draw here, excessively drawing down your battery.

Have the battery load tested. I get my 6 volt batteries from NAPA but you can get them anywhere making sure they are Industrial/Commercial. I don't remember the CCA rating, but more is better and lots is just right. The case size is the same so it will fit in the box the same. Don't waste your time trying to jam in a super large (physically) battery, the right one will work as long as everything else is in good shape.

Use large diameter heavy guage welding cable and make up a new grounding cable. Make sure engine and frame and battery ground (positive polarity) are on bright metal.

Make sure the battery power to the starter (negative) is good, if any doubt at all replace it with large diameter, well insulated cable. It carries twice the current of a twelve volt system so you can't use a modern car piece. Old cable can look good on the outside but be rotten under the insulation.

Make sure your new alternator is putting out correctly and charging the battery properly.

Make sure there is not a current leakage running down your battery overnight. You can check this with a sensitive ammeter between the disconnected neg post and the neg terminal.

Come back with your findings.