How to remove a stubborn rear wheel

scott12180

Hi all,

I own a 1926 Packard and need to remove the rear wheels to inspect the brakes, replace an oil seal, etc. The right side comes off fine, but someone overtightened the left side (apparently) and I just can't get the wheel off. My wheel puller slips on the hubcap threads because they've been buggered up, so that's kind of useless.

Any suggestions? Any particular kind of wheel puller that really GRIPS the hubcap threads and won't slip off? Other tricks to get a wheel off?

--Scott

I'm not familiar with cars that old, but if the hub fits on a tapered shaft, you might try a trick recommended to me.

Loosen the hub nut a turn or two, then drive around the block a time or two. The sideways force on the rim tends to loosen things enough for the hub to slip off.

I have had one that i used the puller on, after undoing the nut a couple of turns, then put the puller on tighten up , and then heat the outside of the hub with the oxy/act torch till it poped. Propane does not work too little heat too slowly, by the time the hub is heated so is the axle. The hub has to expand quickly and do not cool the hub with water, let it cool on its own. If it does not POP, let it cool down again with the puller on for an hour or so, and then re heat again.

I dont know about the older Packards, but could the threads be the opposite of the other side. I have heard of cars that had threads the opposite of the other side of the car. Instead of lefty lucy, and righty tighty, it was backward.

________________________________________________________________________________

EVERYTHING above this line is [color:"red"] HIGHLY suspect!

Guest Randy Berger

I don't know of any year Packard that had that. I am more familiar with 51-56 and none of them have left-hand threads.

Guest imported_Speedster

My '29 has normal threads. After removing the axle nut the special removal tool screws onto hub, where screw on hubcap normally goes. Then you crank on center bolt of tool to push in on axle and you can remove the wheel and hub as an assembly (but I normally prefer to remove the wheel first before removing the hub, since the tire, wheel and hub is pretty heavy). The axle is tapered where the hub slips on. I would first, leave wheel on hub and, tap on the inside of tire and wheel with a rubber mallet, try rocking it and heating it (even tho it will mess up the paint) as previously suggested.

If that doesn't work, you may have to modify the puller to include arms that go up to several lug bolts and pull there instead of at the hub cap threads.