Can you ID this touring car?

Bob McAnlis

I believe this car is a late 1914 McFarlan. It has all the proper earmarks including the slanter side louvers, the adjustable vent at the rear top of the hood (one on each side). the rear spare tire rack too. My pictures in the book "What was the McFarlan" by Marvin and Arnheim show very clearly the 1915 models with these features. However, the 15s show one man tops and a lower front seat. The 1914s show a differnt hood, but similiar body and two man tops. I think this photo is late 14.<P>There are none of these early McFarlans left to my knowlege. This one would be a keeper today.<P>Bob McAnlis

I found this old family photo recently. I believe it is circa 1917 or so. I think that the car is a 1917 Reo. Can anyone give me a positive ID? Thanks.<P> 0201touring.jpg <p>[This message has been edited by peterg (edited 03-01-2001).]

Bob,<BR>Thanks for the prompt info. Would you know the cruising speed of the 1914 McFarlan? How much would a car like this have cost? Thanks.

The McFarlan was a higher end car, very good, but not quite up to Packard, Pierce or Locomobile. These three were in the $4000 to $5000 range typically for a car like this McFarland. The McFarlan price was $2600 to $2900 for this model. Very hefty for the time. Cadillacs were at $2000, and the volume cars of the time wer in the $1000 to $1500 range.<P>Today, this big McFarlan would likely be able to manage 50+ all day long on the highway. Only 60 cars were made in 1914 and 85 cars were made in 1915. Later, the McFarlans were at a price level similiar to the Packards and Pierces. In the twenties, their radiator mascot was a small statue of Atlas holding up the globe. Mcfarlans were made in Connersville Indiana from 1909 to 1928.<P>Bob McAnlis<P>

I may be wrong, but I believe there is an early McFarland in the Cleveland Ohio Western Reserve Historical Museum. Again, working from memory - which is a dangerous thing to do - I believe that the car on display had 6 tires and was owned by one of the Fords.