my new 68' Skylark

Guest wildcat65401

Guest wildcat65401

Hey all,

So I just bought a rust free Skylark that needs a little love . Someone put a chevy 350 and drive train into her . Its got to go for many reasons , the main one being its not Buick and I don't like the way it sounds or shifts and leaks and smokes etc....

So , I have a 69' 430 and T-400 from my old Electra 225 . I would love to use this set up in the Skylark . Would the rear end from the Electra work in the 'Lark or is it too big ?

Anyone got any general advise ?

I'll post some before and after pictures for anyone who is interested .

Happy Halloween .

I think the engine is a bolt in. I think the trans may need to be compared. Didn't one have a long tailshaft and the other a short one? If so you might need a different mount for the one you plan to use.

I would leave the rear end alone for now. The Electra would probably have a cruising rear while the skylark would have a bit more bite. In the long run I have come to believe the rear axle does not make a huge difference in costs of gas per mile.

JD

Guest wildcat65401

Thanks JD .

I think the rear end in the Skylark is not the original , its red and I don't remember seeing one that color on a Buick before . I suppose it'll work whatever it is .

Can't wait to get this done ! Hope my 430 and t-400 are ok , they've been sitting for about two years . The trans was new , one way to find out right ?

Paul.

I remember my Father in Law putting a skylark rear axle in his 70 Chevelle. HE had to do something to hook it up, maybe the yoke for the driveshaft? But the axle fit under there, and you may have another Divisions product pushing it back there. The red is probably someone's idea of a hot look. I used to see this and always thought it was not attractive to the car or the owner.

JD

You can order the proper engine mounts from TA Performance, and a competent tranny shop can change the rear of the trans from a long to a short tail shaft. There are U-joints available that have different size ends, so you can switch from the big to little ends on the drive shaft, if it is necessary. You will also need a drive shaft. The rear tranny mount can be slid back to the second set of holes and should work just fine.