55 Super rocker Panels

super55

I have a 55 Super 4-door that I will replacing [cut and weld] the outer rocker panels on. Can someone explain what inner rocker panels are and what is involved in there replacement? In addition, any info from those that have done this work will be greatly appreciated.

If you get under your car and look directly behind the outer rocker panels you will see a vertical piece of sheet metal about 4" wide that is spot welded to brackets that are in turn welded to the floor and are also body mounts. That is the "inner" rocker. It is an important structural member that in conjunction with the the outer rocker forms a "D" shaped tube that stiffens the lower structure of the car. It runs from the front to rear wheel openings. In two door cars the bottom of the rear 1/4 is welded to it.

Generally, if the outer rocker is rotten so is the inner.

It's not terribly difficult to replace, just time consuming. The good news is that it is not really seen so you don't have to worry about apperance, within reason.

Once you get the outer rocker cut off you will see and have acess to the inner. It is spot welded to the body brackets, the floor, and at the front a cowl brace. I generally cut the spot welds to the brackets and front brace and then just cut the whole length along the top, and remove. I fit the new piece tight along the top and skip weld. For the brackets you can plug weld from the front or just edge weld from the back (or both). I use metal about 6" wide so I dont have to worry about fitting both top and bottom. That leaves the bottom over wide and after the outers are welded on the last thing I do is just trim the bottom off.

Rather than pay top dollar for repro inners I just use 1/16 thick steel I buy from the local sheet metal shop. ($20 pair). That's almost twice the original thickness but it's much stronger and does a better job.

Sometimes the inner is mostly OK with just a small section rotted out. If that's the case it's OK to patch over the rotted area but remember it's not just cosmetic but also structural. If I patch I use a piece long enough to go between two brackets and also weld to the brackets. Have fun.......Bob