My Reatta is nice, but, have you seen the new TBird!!

You should check out the new Chevrolet SSR. Its a two seater, V-Powered roadser. It will be introduced in 2002. Check out the GM website for more info., or check out the next car show.

I have been following these new T-birds from the outset and am trying to figure out how to convince my spouse that we MUST have one. In addition to my Reatta I already have a '55 bird (it came before the Reatta), so how do you justify a third two-seater when there are still kids in the house (I have already tried the "matching bookends" approach with no luck). Trying to help me is my son, who just learned to drive, and would kill to drive an '02 bird to school.<BR>By the way, I had read that the $40,000 was only for the special N-M birds and the production ones will be less. But you know how new car prices seem to go up when they finally hit the showroom.

I'm still trying to figure out why everyone doesn't have a Miata in their garage.<P>Ford will probably sell quite a few T-Birds in the first year but after they prove themselves to do nothing better than comparably priced cars in whatever market they are trying to penetrate or create their value is going to plummet.<P>Did I mention the Miata?

Guess why there are so many different cars and styles... Not everyone likes the same thing! Not everyone wants to wear their car like a glove, some like the more room and smoother ride of a car more substantial than a Miata. Take a Reatta convertible, modernize it a little, include a V8 and a removable hardtop, and I would say you are close to what the new T-bird will be. If that leaves you thinking the car doesn't do anything special, then just what are you looking for? Don't you like your Reatta and your Miata, too? Of course you do, because there is room for more than one type of car and we all have different expectations from our rides.

Thanks for making my point. On one hand you have the Miata: over 600,000 vehicles on the road, on the C&D 10 Best List for 10 years, one of the best repair records in Consumer Reports, everyone that owns one loves it (check out the Miata Forum if you don't believe me), world class handling and performance and current pricing from $17-26k.<P>On the other hand we have the Reatta convertible. Yet another GM debocle of which only a few thousand over-priced examples were sold that do nothing well except depreciate.<P>The above are verifiable facts. Spin your wheels all you want about it. $40k for the Thunderbird is ludicrous. Spending more money on a car that does less only makes you a sucker.

Forget the little rice-burning Miata and the 'Bird, after all it's a Ford. The Reatta is still a great car and would have survived with the proper marketing by GM. My 1990 Reatta is a great car and I would buy another one in a heartbeat. But you're all forgetting that other two-seater GM car, the Corvette. It will blow everything near it off the road and do it with panache! <p>[This message has been edited by steve90 (edited 10-27-2000).]

Wow, and I thought miatan'reatta was on this forum because he liked Reattas. I was trying to be diplomatic and point out that we all have different likes. Guess that was just open season to boldly trash the car this forum is about.

I too had a Miata..for 3 long months...A cheap little sports car with rough ride and so-so handling. If you want a cheap roadster, the Miata is for you..but remember, you get what you pay for. I sold that and bought a 90 Corvette. While that is a great car, I didn't keep it long either..no place to drive it like it should be driven...The Reatta is a nice compromise. Luxury and a little sporty too..<P>------------------<BR> My Topless Reatta<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/drbuch2000/myhomepage/index.html" TARGET=_blank>http://hometown.aol.com/drbuch2000/myhomepage/index.html</A>

I made this post to share the link to the new TBird site that I had found. In my opinion the new Bird is the only effort by a domestic auto maker to produce a car I find to be very similar to what the Reatta is. Not to bash the Miata (honest...I think it is a great car for the market it is intended for), but, the TBird is a "domestic" 2 seat personal luxury car, the same classification I put the Reatta in. Besides the Allante, and the origonal TBirds(before Ford destroyed them with a back seat), I can't think of any other efforts to produce such a car. I think the Mercedes 450SL type cars are in a similar class, but they are not domestic. The Miata (for example) is in my opinion a sports car, in the same class as the BMW Z3, the MGF and alot of other sports cars. I have never cosidered my Reatta a sports car. <P>But, lets all try to remember something, we all surf here because we love our cars, and that was the reason for my post. I think alot of you are similar to myself in that when we are at this forum, we are generally just killing time surfing the net, so I just thought I'd give you all some pretty pics to look at( in my opinion, for what thats worth).....Happy surfing......Dan

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wheresjim:<BR><B>I thought it was a nice contrast to the Reatta in that it was so light and torquey. Which is nice in the summer with the top down, but scary in the snow on I-95, can you say 360? The Reatta's immense curb weight accompanied by the front wheel drive makes it far better in snow and ice. M&R, which car do you drive when it snows?<BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The Expedition, of course!<P>

I spend my days visiting car dealers and dealers that sell Mazda love the Miatta dearly. The phrase that always seems to come up is "great back end profitbuilder". They already know what Miatta owners find out sooner or later....The parts are not cheap and neither is the labor...Yes, those who know best really like that car. Funny, they never seem to drive one themselves. What else do they know?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bigrog:<BR><B>miata's are great! Just keep the hampsters fed, their wheel greased, and it'll roll for a long time. p.s., hope noone runs into you. trash cans don't offer much protection</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You mean like a Reatta with failed ABS?<BR>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rickp:<BR><B>I spend my days visiting car dealers and dealers that sell Mazda love the Miatta dearly. The phrase that always seems to come up is "great back end profitbuilder". They already know what Miatta owners find out sooner or later....The parts are not cheap and neither is the labor...Yes, those who know best really like that car. Funny, they never seem to drive one themselves. What else do they know?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'm seeing some "backend" here, alright. If you could spell Miata I'd almost take you half seriously. Thanx for imparting your words of naiveté.<P>Again I defer to the Consumer reports frequency of repair charts. Now run along, do your research, and check back in when you have a point.<P>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by miata'nreatta:<BR><B> I'm seeing some "backend" here, alright. If you could spell Miata I'd almost take you half seriously. Thanx for imparting your words of naiveté.<P>Again I defer to the Consumer reports frequency of repair charts. Now run along, do your research, and check back in when you have a point.<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>does "miata" know what abs is?<BR>

My ex-girlfriend had a '96 Miata, and I would drive it every chance I got! <P>I thought it was a nice contrast to the Reatta in that it was so light and torquey. Which is nice in the summer with the top down, but scary in the snow on I-95, can you say 360? The Reatta's immense curb weight accompanied by the front wheel drive makes it far better in snow and ice. M&R, which car do you drive when it snows?<P>Also her AC worked alot better than mine ever has. But the comments about the ride were pretty accurate, the Miata has nothing on a good Reatta. They will have my Reatta when they pry it from my cold-dead hands.<P>Jim.<P>