New garage for my "new" Buick 40-56s

Guffin

Finally i managed to finish the new garage for my Buick 40-56s. I bought the car in Crystal City, MO, last fall and got it to Sweden in the spring. I had no permit to make a large garage so I had to make a small extension to my old garage hidden under the bushes. It is well insulated so i can keep it wormed up in winter time to keep it dry inside.

I have posted photos of the car some time ago and can be seen at "Guffins Gallery". I have also reported on a tour to Norway we did in July.

The car is really nice to drive and we have already put 2300 miles on it this summer. it is fast and quiet. It is in very good condition with a restored engine.

Jan

Guest imported_MrEarl

Looks cool and cozy to me. I'm curious. The arch door top adds a nice touch. Was it necessary for clearance in relation to the roof pitch or just an architectual detail. Love that 40 Buick. Thanks for sharing.

Guest imported_MrEarl

Serb,

You only have to look back beyond the garage to see where the arch influence came from. Attention to detail, that's what makes the difference.

Lamar,

I have always admired the Europeans and their appreciation of the past. Europeans will keep the same property in the family for hundreds of years and think that something 100 years old is "new". Here in the good ole USA, we build crap and tear everything down in 20-30-40 years. I have family in Europe that have been in the same place for generations and are damn proud of being there.

Jan,

Great home in the background, again.... nice touch with the arch.

Lamar,

How's the calendar?

Serb,

Thank you. The house in the background was built in 1909. I moved in 1974 and then the house was in bad shape. Water in the basement and leaking roof. After many years of work it now looks quite good.

The bad thing is that it is difficult to heat in winter time. 10 feet to the ceiling! Burning oil is not to think of with todays price. A friend of mine has made a "heat pump" (reversed refrigerator principle) that takes the heat from a drilled hole in the ground and when it gets really cold we burn wood in a stove which we gather around in the evenings.

Things has changed much in Europe. People have to move to find a job. I have been lucky to be able to stay in the same house for so long time. Now I am retired so I will not move.

I grew up in a wooden house build in 1740 with only 6 1/2 feet to the ceiling.

The larger garage I originally built for my Hupmobile. For tax reason it is a "one car garage". Therefore the second door is painted yellow in order to be less visible.

Nice to talk to you all. Internet is a nice tool.

Jan