Heater and Defroster Problems

I recently purchased a 1990 Reatta and when I tried the heater it only works in the Bi- level and defrost mode. The Htr and Econ buttons do not light or operate their respective functions. Plus the defogger button does not light and that to is not working. Any suggestions or experiences with this problem before I start tearing things apart.

I had similar symtoms, don't know what really causes it, but here is what happened. The first winter I had the car I disconnected the battery to store it. In the spring, when repowered, everything worked. Since then I found out that if I MAKE SURE to hit the heater/cooling off button EVERY TIME before I shut the car off all the functions keep working. But if I don't shut if off some of the functions eventually stop working. Bottom line, I don't know what the root cause is, but have learned a simple way to keep it working.

Lets first remember these cars are 10 years old. The see heat,cold,high humidity, and dirt. All of these items work on electrical connections. <P>I have had success in solving many electrical problems by simply unplugging and replugging the connection. At the same time I spray the connection with contact cleaner.<P>In the case of the heater/AC control on '90-'91 cars there is also a ribbon connector connection inside the control box, plus the soft touch buttons themselves.<P>Try the unplug- replug and you have about a 50% of fixing the problem.<P>------------------<BR>Barney Eaton Reatta technical advisor for BCA and keeper of the Reatta database.

Barney:<BR>Took your advice purchased a can of spray cleaner and used it on the relay/fuse block and opened as many connections as I could find. After cleaning the connections I used No-ox before assembling them. It was a success now my climate control as well as the rear defogger all work properly. Next on my agenda is to get the Brake Fluid replace as you suggested. Thanks Again!<BR>DMC90<BR>