NC,SC, GA and E.TN Blue Ridge Parkway Cruise

I think the folks in Minn, Iowa and WI have a great idea. How about us Southern folks doing the same. A weekend or Sunday cruise up the Blue Ridge Parkway in the southern smokeys would be great in late Sept/early Oct. I am thinking about the Asheville NC to maybe Mt. Mitchell for a Reatta caravan up the parkway. Anyone with interest let us know. The Little Switzerland area would be a great place to spend Sat. night. Views and foliage should be great. If we get enough interest I would be happy to coordinate meeting place, make reservations, etc. I am out of the country Oct 16-28. Wide open all other times.

I like it. A Reatta "cruise" up the blue ridge would be fun. It might be worth finding the greatest number of Reatta's and their location. I'd rather start at Fancy Gap (only 95 miles from Greensboro) than around Asheville (166 miles away). I think one of the greatest sales area for Reattas in N.C., was the Greensboro-Winston-Salem-High Point Triad. Anyway a big positive for this idea. Keep us posted.<P>------------------<BR>

That sounds like a great idea. I live near the Parkway in Virginia, but am flexable as to where to start from. I don't think there are many reattas in my area, since I've NEVER seen another one around, and the local Buick dealer didn't even sell one brand new. Hope we can make this work<P>

The Fancy Gap area would work well for me too since I am in Charlotte. I just suggested the Asheville area thinking we might get more from Ga...lets see what kind of interest we get, and where it comes from..will keep you updated..<p>[This message has been edited by Dave Buchanan (edited 09-12-2000).]

I think a Blueridge cruise is a great idea. Unfortunately, we are leaving for our winter home in Fl. Oct.1 so we will miss this one. Hopefully it will become an annual event. We live 15 minutes from Little Switzerland and know that overnight lodging may be hard to get in the area in that time frame due to all the tourists coming in for the 'color' so you may want to make reservations as early as possible.<BR>I would love to see a bunch of Reattas together as they are certainly rare in these parts. The only one the local dealer sold is still here but the original owner keeps it in his garage and only drives it to Fl. once a year. I have never seen it.<BR>Hope you can pull this off Dave.

I'm in, assuming I can get the headlights working on the Select 60. Any beginning point, and ending point. I live in Atlanta, but do business in Greensboro. I rode my motorcycle the entire length of the parkway last Saturday. Car would be a piece of cake.

From the posts above I count about 4 or 5 "maybes". I will pick a date and then we can see if we have enough real interest to continue. October 7 works for me. It looks like we should get on the Parkway somewhere in Western NC, near VA judging from the location of those interested. Going South toward GA thru the NC Mountains. Let me know how many are interested in Sat. Oct 7 and we'll get more specific if more than a couple of you are interested. I can do an overnight and then split up and head home on Sunday, but just Saturday may work for others. I think we could cruise down most of the way in NC to GA easily in the two days. Can then take the Interstates home if we need to on Sunday.<BR>Dave<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Dave Buchanan (edited 09-20-2000).]

That is three of us with 90 convertibles so far. Where are the coupes? I'm thinking of starting Saturday morning in Northwester NC and driving down the parkway south toward Asheville. Let's hear from anybody else who is interested in a weekend cruise. <p>[This message has been edited by Dave Buchanan (edited 09-22-2000).]

Okay, if we are going to do this we have to make plans. Here is the tentative plan at this time. I plan to get on the Parkway at or near Sparta NC on Saturday morning Oct 7. Will cruise down using the overlooks as we want, and taking our time stopping for lunch around Spruce Pine. Then on to Asheville area with dinner, and then spend the night in that area. The Biltmore House aand Winery tour is always fun if you have not done it. On Sunday we can then drop down to the Greenville/Spartanburg area, or we can come back North for those who want to make it two days. I just plan to be back in Charlotte sometime Sunday. My wife is into planning these days, so I need to know if we have others who plan to come along. Let me know by e-mail or on this board this week.

I will commit thru Saturday. Sparta is fine launch point. Are you arriving night before or that A.M.? I plan on spending the night in Sparta or Roaring Gap. Where meet?<P>Ray

I am interested in your parkway cruise. I cannot commit as of yet, but I will be following the postings , and hopefully I can drive down Fri. (approx 10 hrs), cruise with y'all Sat., and head home Sun. I have an 88 silver coupe. Would love to meet all of you, and I have always enjoyed the parkway, although I have always been on two wheels in the past when I have been down there. Please post a specific time/place to meet Sat. morning, or leave a cell phone # so we can all hook up down therer if we make the trip.....Dan

I will try and work out a reasonable route and schedule and post it this evening from home. I am planning to leave Charlotte EARLY Saturday morning and getting on the parkway mid morning. More later.<BR>Dave

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Buchanan:<BR><B>I think the folks in Minn, Iowa and WI have a great idea. How about us Southern folks doing the same. A weekend or Sunday cruise up the Blue Ridge Parkway in the southern smokeys would be great in late Sept/early Oct. I am thinking about the Asheville NC to maybe Mt. Mitchell for a Reatta caravan up the parkway. Anyone with interest let us know. The Little Switzerland area would be a great place to spend Sat. night. Views and foliage should be great. If we get enough interest I would be happy to coordinate meeting place, make reservations, etc. I am out of the country Oct 16-28. Wide open all other times. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

We have one weekend before we cruise the parkway. It looks like we have interest by enough folks for some fun. How about getting on the parkway at the intersection of Rt 221 near Sparta NC at 10:00AM Saturday Oct 7. Going South through Boone, Linville, and Spruce Pine with lunch along the way. Others can join along the way if that spot is not convenient. I want to do some mileage calculations befor making any reservations for Saturday night. Then off again on Sunday after a good brunch to at least Asheville/Hendersonville Area. That would get us near Interstates 26 and 40 for any who need to take interstate home. Some of you who plan to make it give me your thoughts on this plan on the board or via e-mail. <P>------------------<BR> <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/drbuch2000/myhomepage/index.html" TARGET=_blank>http://hometown.aol.com/drbuch2000/myhomepage/index.html</A> My Topless Reatta

Some final plans for the cruise if any of you want to join along the way. Will begin driving the Blue Ridge Parkway Saturday morning at Rt 21 near Sparta NC. If anyone wants to meet up there e-mail me. We then plan to drive down the parkway at something less than the maximum parkway speed limit of a whapping 45 MPH, to the Boone Blowing Rock area where we will take a lunch stop. Then on down past Grandfather Mountain and spend the night near Linville/Spruce Pine. Up late on Sunday morning and cruise on toward Asheville NC. Plese send me e-mail if you plan do all or part of the trip and I will give you cell phone number and more details.<BR>Dave<P>------------------<BR> [http://hometown.aol.com/drbuch2000/myhomepage/index.html