Motor Oil Stain on Upholsteruy

its a V-12

While preparing my 48 Lincoln Continental for a show, I took a bottle of Windex off a shelf and didnt notice there was motor oil on the bottom of the bottle. It was sitting next to a oil funnel. I placed the bottle on the wool upholstery and was sicken when I saw the stain. My wife tried very hard to get it out with Woolite and another mild detergent. The dark part of the stain came out but you can still plainly see the outline of the bottle bottom. I am sick over this and am hoping that someone would be able to suggest a cleaner that will remove this stain. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions...Thank you

Guest bkazmer

talk to a dry cleaner who is in the Fabric Association - wool suits are made of broadcloth not unlike your upholstery

Guest Chuck Conrad

Hopefully, you have some material that is not visible which you can use to experiment on. If so, try using naptha and a fairly stiff but gentle brush to see what happens.

Start off with a new disposable paint brush. Cut off the bristles so they are only 1/2 inch or so long. You can use it to work the solvent in and around the stain. Use a very clean white (no dye or color) terry cloth towel to blot up the soiled area. The residuial naptha will evaporate fairly shortly, hopefully taking the stain with it. It may take more than one application to get the desired results.

I've also been told that a spray can of brake cleaner works for this as well. Be very cautious, and BE SURE to experiment on a small piece of fabric that is not visible, BEFORE you try to attack the stain.

Good luck

Guest bkazmer

I'd be more inclined to use an aerosol degreaser used in tool and die and injection molding - it's trichloroethane, the old, nasty, dry cleaning solvent. However, on clothes you can spray from the inside, driving out the stain.

I have taken out grease stains with automotive paint prep wax and grease remover. It acts a lot like lighter fluid, and is rather mild so not much danger to attack the dyes or sizing in the fabric.

I use PPG Acryli-Clean DX330 that you can get at any automotive paint supply store. Dupont and other automotive paint folks have similar products.

As with any cleaning chemical, test it first in an inconspicuous area. I dab it on with a clean white rag, and rub it in, turning the rag frequently. Once it evaporates, the stain is usually gone, but if not, try another application.

If that doesn't work, put a cute stuffed animal or wicker lunch basket on top of the stain, you'll be guaranteed an award at your next car show. Just joking of course....

Good luck!

Another excellent product you might consider is K2R, which is a spray cleaner. K2R is a dry-cleaning fluid, with an absorbent powder, in a spray can. You spray it on, heavily, and allow it to dry. As the wet powder dries, you can see the stain being lifted up out of the cloth. Simply vacuum up the residue, and repeat until the stain is gone. Works on wool, as well as synthetics.

How well does it work? Well, we had a German Shepherd puppy about 30 years ago, who as puppies are wont to do, liked chewing up stuff. Suzie got hold of a red Bic ballpoint pen while we were at church one Sunday, chewed it to pieces, leaving nasty red stains on a beige carpet. It took 5 cans of K2R, but once done, the red ink stains were completely, totally gone, with no damage to the carpet whatsoever.

Art

I would like to thank everyone for their responses and words of encouragement. Having already made an appointment, with an Upholsterer, to replace the seat fabric ($$$) my wife, as a last resort applied a laundry cleaner named "Shout". After drying, she followed up with Woolite upholstery cleaner. Much to everyone's surprise,the stain came out without any marks, residual or otherwise. A little bit of luck and a great wife really pays off!. In the future, the only thing that does on those seats is my butt!!!..Thanks again for all your help.