Exhaust System Replacement

Guest Stan Leslie

Guest Stan Leslie

Even though the Reatta Exhaust is stainless steel, mine is in need of replacing from the converter back from rust. GM does not service the muffler any longer. Does anyone know who sells a replacement muffler that looks and fits like the original (with dual tailpipes). I show my car sometimes and would like it to resemble the original as close as possible. Better yet does someone have a GM original (replacement) they would like to sell.

This is an interesting subject which I have wondered about before. Given the number of Reattas with high mileage I am surprised that I have not seen comments on it before. Just curious, how many miles do you have on your car? <BR>My guess is that a stainless steel fabricating shop may be your best bet. I had a custom MG a few years ago that I wanted special design muffler for and I went to a small fabricating shop and they made one for me...was kind of loud but looked great! Maybe someone else has better suggestions...

One of my projects is to look into the mufflers. a quick look at the factory muffler... 24 1/2 long, 11" at wide side of oval, and the input is 2 1/2, outlets are 2"<P>I don't have a clue how these mufflers sound and this is just a couple of catalogs I have... <BR>Dynomax (cat#17273)has a 23" long 3"inlet, 2- 2 1/2 outlets. <BR>Dynomax (cat#17265 has a 20" long body, 2 1/2 " inlets and two outlets, same size. <BR>Thrush has "truck applications" #46161 and 46162 both 22" long the first has 2 1/4 pipes and the second 2 1/2"<BR>Thrush also has a #46163 that has the same inlet&outlet as the Dynomax (17273) but is 22" long. <BR>There are surely lots of others since many trucks and SUV today have a one in and two out muffler. <P>------------------<BR>Barney Eaton Reatta technical advisor for BCA and keeper of the Reatta database.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Barney Eaton:<BR><B>One of my projects is to look into the mufflers. a quick look at the factory muffler... 24 1/2 long, 11" at wide side of oval, and the input is 2 1/2, outlets are 2"<P>I don't have a clue how these mufflers sound and this is just a couple of catalogs I have... <BR>Dynomax (cat#17273)has a 23" long 3"inlet, 2- 2 1/2 outlets. <BR>Dynomax (cat#17265 has a 20" long body, 2 1/2 " inlets and two outlets, same size. <BR>Thrush has "truck applications" #46161 and 46162 both 22" long the first has 2 1/4 pipes and the second 2 1/2"<BR>Thrush also has a #46163 that has the same inlet&outlet as the Dynomax (17273) but is 22" long. <BR>There are surely lots of others since many trucks and SUV today have a one in and two out muffler. <P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Barney Eaton:<BR><B>One of my projects is to look into the mufflers. a quick look at the factory muffler... 24 1/2 long, 11" at wide side of oval, and the input is 2 1/2, outlets are 2"<P>I don't have a clue how these mufflers sound and this is just a couple of catalogs I have... <BR>Dynomax (cat#17273)has a 23" long 3"inlet, 2- 2 1/2 outlets. <BR>Dynomax (cat#17265 has a 20" long body, 2 1/2 " inlets and two outlets, same size. <BR>Thrush has "truck applications" #46161 and 46162 both 22" long the first has 2 1/4 pipes and the second 2 1/2"<BR>Thrush also has a #46163 that has the same inlet&outlet as the Dynomax (17273) but is 22" long. <BR>There are surely lots of others since many trucks and SUV today have a one in and two out muffler. <P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR> Sorry for the double hit, Barney.<P> I believe the exhaust pipe to the muffler is 2 1/4" Let me know if it is really 2 1/2.<P> Bob Rich <BR>Mistaken.

Guest Stan Leslie

I will try to comment on all previous responses here. My car only has about 60,000 miles but a couple of Michigan winters a few years back, so the cheap stainless doesn't hold up well. The GM# for the intermediate pipe is 3522850 and is still avail. thru GM. The muffler and dual tailpipe assy. was GM# 3522849. I checked with gmpartsdirect and although they will quote a price for the muffler, the verified it is dicontinued and no longer available when queried by email. I have found an Arvin OEM replacement somewhere on the web for around $70 but have no idea what it really looks like.

Guest Stan Leslie

Based on earlier reply, I checked part#1647735. This part is still available thru GM (or gmpartsdirect), and is the muffler for a 88-90 Reatta or Riviera. The number I referenced earlier (3522849) is for a 91 Reatta. It was my belief that the 88-90 and 91 mufflers are physically the same size and shape (maybe you could take some measurements, Barney, since you have one of each). If so, I suspect the difference is in the "tuning" (internal baffling for sound).

The '90 muffler is 22 1/2" long and the '91 is 24 1/2" long. Seems to be evenly centered. If you measure from the tailpipe closest to the muffler, to the muffler, it is 3 1/2 on the '90 and 2 1/2 on the '91. <BR>I believe that if you order a Reatta/Riviera muffler from GM it will come with one tail pipe... never saw a Riviera with two tail pipes and GM will go with the higher usage,lowest cost part.<P>The pipe is slightly different. The pipe makes a 90 at the end of the tunnel toward the passanger, then another 90 toward the rear. On my '90 there is a shield welded near the second bend. The '91 does not have the shield but a brace, round rod that goes 45degrees from before the bend to after the bend. The '91 tail pipe is slightly bigger<BR>.. at 2 1/2" while the '90 is 2 1/4. <BR>My earlier measurement was from the '91 and there is no fitting on the muffler inlet, so the 2 1/2" measurement is the outside size of the tailpipe. <BR>I cannot get a good look at the '90 but it has a different converter, or at least a cover/shield where the '91 does not.<BR>

I have been wondering where the extra five horsepower came from on the '91, 170 vs 165. For some reason, I believe the camshaft caries a different part number as well. Maybe the larger diameter helps explain this. I had been thinking of having mine duplicated in 2.5" but it looks like GM got there first. Interesting.<P>------------------<BR>Hal, btk@vbe.com

<P> The Reatta muffler, 1647735, is still available. The Riviera muffler, 1649413, is not. Perhaps this is one of the rare cases where the Riviera boys have to adapt one of our parts.