?? Split Rim Design ??

Guest John W. Cina

Guest John W. Cina

My 1921 Dort orginally has Clincher Rims held on with [color:\\"red\\"] JAXON [color:\\"black\\"] clips.

Tires now availible are Straight Side.

So I need new rims.

Question -- is some of the early orginal [color:\\"red\\"] Straight Side [color:\\"black\\"] rims I have seen have mounting attachment clips as part of the rim (welded secured to it) which than bolts to wheel ---- whereas solid non-split clincher rims were held on by WEDGE (JAXON brand) type clips.

I'm questioning the safety of mounting the SPLIT rims using [color:\\"red\\"] eg. JAXON CLIPS [color:\\"black\\"] which WEDGE under the RIM bolting to wheel ,

----OR (INSTEAD OF) a [color:\\"blue\\"] CLIP ATTACHED/WELDED [color:\\"black\\"] to the RIM and bolted to wheel [color:\\"orange\\"] ????? [color:\\"black\\"] [color:\\"orange\\"] ?????????

[color:\\"black\\"]

I can question the security of solid mounting of rim verus wedge mounting of rim --- if a blow-out occured or ?????

Make sense --- or CENTS ??????

Jaxon # 11A SS is a straight side, direct replacement, for your Jax#11 rims and uses the same wedges. Jax#11 was used on Chevrolet490,Dort,Maxwell,and Overland.

The problem with using a different rim is the drive pin etc. that is used to lock the rim to the wheel(with out it the rim will spin and break the valve stem).

Good luck finding a set of rims.

JB in MA

Guest John W. Cina

Well thanks JB I didn't really think about the possible slip/spin of the rim.

The orginal 1921 Dort RIMs were a clincher demountable - not a split rim - and were held in place only by JAXON wedge CLIPS -- and they apparently didn't worry about rim spin.

So I figured that would be an adequate way to hold the SPLIT RIMs I had made in place.

But now as I prepare to mount the SPLIT RIMs I had made ------- ((( "" AM I MAKING A MISTAKE "" )))

[color:\\"red\\"] " I FEEL THAT USING THE JAXON WEDGE CLIPS MAY NOT BE ADEQUATE --- AS THEY WILL BE PUSHING IN - WEDGING ON THE BOTTOM OF THE RIM TO SECURE IT,

AND with THE SPLIT TYPE RIM BEING HELD TOGETHER BY THE STRAP-SCREW WILL NOT ALLOW FOR A SECURE MOUNTING OF THE RIM ONTO THE WHEEL ----- ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAD A BLOWOUT using this type of rim mounting system.

[color:\\"red\\"] [color:\\"blue\\"] FOLLOW MY THINKING - QUESTIONING... [color:\\"black\\"] [color:\\"black\\"]

I know the ORGINAL type SPLIT RIMS ------ had mounting ears to secure them to the wheel........... [color:\\"red\\"]

We may be making a MISTAKE TRYING TO MOUNT SPLIT RIMS WITH JAXON CLIPS ?????????????? [color:\\"red\\"] [color:\\"black\\"] [color:\\"blue\\"]

WHAT DO YOU THINK [color:\\"blue\\"] [color:\\"green\\"] ???????????? [color:\\"black\\"]

NOW THAT THE RIMS ARE MADE AND PLATED WE MAY HAVE TO REDO THEM ?????

I just got them from McLarn's

<span style="font-weight: bold">SO MY BOTTOM LINE IS ;</span>

<span style="font-style: italic">SHOULD DEMOUNTABLE SOLID RIMS USE ONLY JAXON WEDGE TYPE CLIPS,,,,,

------ and / or -------

SHOULD SPLIT DEMOUNTABLE TYPE RIMS ONLY USE/HAVE MOUNTING EARs TO SECURE RIM TO WHEEL --- OR COULD JAXON WEDGE TYPE CLIPS BE USED ????</span>

HELP John

Guest John W. Cina

I may have partially found an answer as to how it was done in days gone by!!!!!

"Dykes 15th ed." pg 599, Fig 40 & Fig 42 shows my wheel with the JAXON WEDGE-SHAPED RIM CLAMPS , and I think its a split rim similiar to fig. 39 shown -- but mine has a bolt to lock RIM ends together.

Maybe the RIMs that had the attaching ears permantently attached were a later - safer - more secure - improvement ----- over the wedge-clamps ????

John 3) 1921 Dorts

John, The orig. Jaxon rims did not have attatched clamps, both the clincher and the straight side rims used the same clamp/wedge. As for the drive, there are at least 3 types drives used by all the diferent mfgs. Sleeve drive(uses the same hole as the valve stem),dowel drive (a large round pin that fits in a hole in the

wheel felloe),and saddle drive(a u shaped part of the rim latch). I do not have a pic. of the #11a rim to see what the drive was. You could make them sleeve drive,

make a sleeve to fit through the valve stem hole, you will have to bore out the hole in the wheel felloe, Firestone used sleeve on a lot of the rims they made.

John Beatty Sherborn MA john@galapanet.com