1972 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Regency sedan - need information

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

I am trying to find photos and information the 1972 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight with the "Regency" option. Anyone that owns one of these cars (or the 73' Olds 98) please post photos of your car here, as well as its options. Thanks.

Tony, the factory press release photos often show up on ebay, and the Regency brochure is fairly common also. It was basically an interior/paint option released to commemorate Oldsmobile's 75th Anniversary in 1972. The brochure and factory pics show the car parked in front of the Tiffany store with a well-dressed affluent 30-ish couple.

From the Regency brochure:

"A very special Ninety-Eight for a very special occasion: Oldsmobile's 75th Anniversary.

The Regency is a four-door sedan of uncommon distinction and luxury. Only 5000 are to be built during the entire 1972 model year- and ownership of each will be registered with Tiffany & Company in New York.

The interior is unique. The pillowed effect of fine furniture has been achieved in both seatback and cushions; the upholstery is limousine quality velour, available in black or covert gold.

Even the face of the electric timepiece in the instrument panel has been specially styled by Tiffany's, and bears the Tiffany name.

The Regency has a special Tiffany touch outside too: a strikingly handsome custom-metallic paint in exclusive Tiffany Gold.

Finally, a handsome key exclusively designed for Ninety-Eight Regency owners. Plus a personal Tiffany touch: a valuable sterling silver keyring as a gift to each Regency owner. If ever lost, the keyring and keys can be dropped in a mailbox, and Tiffany's will return them to the owner at the address shown in its registry."

"Custom Regency interior: Limousine quality all-nylon velour upholstery, treated for stain and dirt resistance. Divided 60/40 front seat with 2-way power adjustment for driver's side, separate controls for passenger side. Center arm rests front and rear. Color-coordinated cut-pile nylon carpeting on floor, cowls and lower door panels. Pouch storage compartments on front seatbacks. Instrument panel timepiece with special facing styled by Tiffany's."

All options beyond standard Ninety-Eight equipment were available for the Regency as well.

The 1972 car isn't seen often now. I've seen three, maybe four in my lifetime. Regency was still pretty exclusive thru 1973, but they exploded onto the scene in 1974 and actually outsold the Luxury Sedan most years after that. They built a Regency LX in 1979; there's one here in town, saw it out tonight. It had thin upper fender reveal mouldings raided from the Cadillac C-body parts bin.

Hi Tony/Glenn,

Here's what the special Tiffany clock looked like in '73. This was a one-year only design. I don't have a '72 Tiffany clock; they are pretty rare! One of my ads has a closeup of that clock - it's gold in color & is very elegant.

The attachment shows my two Tiffanys alongside the regular clock that all other 98s got. The larger clock is actually a rear-passenger's clock: it was standard only on the 98 LS. I do not know of any other production car that actually has two separate clocks in it!

So, the rundown is:

Plain clock optional on all 88s (including the Royale). Standard on all 98s (except Regency).

Tiffany clock standard on 98 Regency only. No back seat clock for Regency.

Plain clock & rear clock standard on 98 LS only.

Here's one box of '71 to '73 Olds clocks. I've been collecting them for years!

Strange how some of the regular ones have Borg movements while the others have General time movements. They look identical, but the mechanics are completely different. The bulb & plug location are different as well.

Now, I wished I documented what year/plant/model vehicle each came out of. Why would Olds go to the trouble of stamping different cases for the exact same application? You cannot tell a Borg unit from a GT unit from looking at the front. Weird!

Guest Shaffer

Thanks Glenn and Junkboy for the information. Junkboy- that is a very nice collection of clocks that you have. That is interesting about the rear clock you mentioned on the 98 LS. Wasn't the "LS" added in 75'? I am not sure.

Glenn- Phil on the Buick forum supplied this 72' Olds 98 Regency ad. Is this the same ad you was referring to? I had forgot about this ad until he placed it on there. I remembered that I have that ad somewhere around here.

I am guessing that only 5000 Regency's were made in 72' that it is quite rare these days. I wonder how many still exist?

Thanks again!

http://www.adclassix.com/images/72oldsregencytiff.jpg

That's the magazine ad. Olds Division produced a special Regency dealer sales brochure. Pretty elaborate really- 8-1/2x11 trifold on heavy gloss paper stock.

LS (Luxury Sedan) was first offered in 1963 on the six-window hardtop sedan platform, and later became a pillared hardtop- frameless door glass with center B post. In addition to upgraded upholstery and headliner fabrics, it had inside door pulls and depending on the year, a clock, a lighted vanity mirror/tissue box or some years both in the front seatback. 1968 was probably the most exclusive year for LS as it had an available "Royale" interior fabric much like the 72-later Regency.

I *KNEW* Rocketraider would come through with the skinny on the LS! I've attached a picture of my '67 Olds 98 LS next to its parts car, a '67 Olds 98 4-door hardtop. The LS has quite different upholstery than the other car: there are many differences. The roof on the LS has a more rounded shape to it, which means the back glass & all four(!) side doors are actually different as well. Yeah, not just the glass; the doors themselves are different...that is quite surprising to me. The difference is so subtle, you literally have to have the cars side-by-side to tell the difference.

I don't have any profile shots or interior pics right now. I broke my foot & cannot get around well.

Guest Shaffer

Nice cars. Interesting about the changes between the LS and the "base" model. When you get well, I would really like to see photos of the interior differences.

Here's the LS roof. Note it's curvier. It is more graceful/formal than the Holiday. I like the Holiday though, because it's more angular/sportier. The Holiday sedan is a true hardtop - no pillar. My LS has frameless doors, but there is a very thin pillar between them.

Bottom line- they are both beautiful designs. The garbage built today/recently will never compare.

The back of the front seat has a little vanity "thing". I pulled the door open to reveal the mirror, light, tissue dispenser, & other compartment. I do not know what the hole on the other side of the mirror/light is for. Both "holes" look alike but they are different. Note the two chrome grab handles at either end of the seat. Also note the chrome areas on each door. It's hard to tell, but there is a heavy chrome pull handle that's contoured around the bottom of the brushed chrome "LS" applique on the upper part of each door handle. They are hinged & not spring loaded, so when you close the door, the handle sort of flips up, then bangs against the metal. It doesn't do any harm, although I found that kind of weird.

Since I can't do a damn thing because of my foot, here's the story of my 98:

Would you believe I gave $200 for this car? The previous owner, after hearing about me & meeting me, wanted to just give me the car because he could tell how excited I was to find it. Even though I had just gotten laid off, I felt like I had to give him something for it though. He really didn't want to get rid of it since it had been in his family so long, & he didn't want to send it to the junkyard, but his wife was really wanting the garage for her Jaguar. He told me it overheated one day & started smoking. He parked it from then on but used to crank it periodically until finally, the motor got to where it wouldn't even turn over. The car has about 100K on it.

The man & his wife waved as I towed it home to AL. They told me they want to see it when I get it all fixed up. I parked it in a "borrowed" lean-to for 2 or 3 years...hoping one day I'd have a job/house/garage to save it.

I moved to NC about a year ago & paid a friend of mine about $200 to tow it up here to NC where I now live... I had owned the car for two or three years & had never touched it. Add that to the day it died & that equals close to eight years of being in-op. At least it's been out of the weather...

I finally got the wild hair early this year & stuck a battery in it, just to see what it would do. Nothing. I fiddled with the neutral safety switch & got a "click". After a new starter, I got the engine to turn over - good news. After fiddling with the points, she actually fired up for the first time in probably 8 years -- I was sooo happy! It ran a little rough & was billowing blue smoke, but hey, it was alive.

Since I left the wrench attached to the alternator pulley, it promptly went through the radiator, necessitating a new one of those. So, I got a new radiator ($$) & found out the old one was the reason for the overheat -- completely plugged.

I couldn't get the new one installed quickly enough. I backed it out of the workshop under its own power & let it sit there & idle in my driveway. it smoked a lot but it ran. Unfortunately, it was blowing exhaust into the cooling system badly so my glee was short-lived.

The car had been taken good care of, inspite of being nailed in the RR quarter early on in life. The repair is starting to show where the replacement quarter was welded on. There is some rust around the back window, but the rest of the car is rock-solid.

Parts car:

Then, about 6 months ago, I spotted the roof of the parts car in a field next to a mechanic shop literally 5 miles from my house. My house is in the BOONIES, so imagine my delight when I walked up & saw a near identical '67 98. smile.gif

The old guy inside said "no sale"; he wanted the 455 for a TRUCK. I told him it was a '67 and it had a 425. He was like, "really?! I've had that car for nearly ten years & thought it was a '68 model." Still he said, "no sale", but he did say he'll THINK about getting rid of it one day. I show up two months later & he said, $200. Who-hoo. Ended up being a real nice guy too & he actually welcomed me to his house & showed me a stunning original '65 Chevy fleetside (green, 283, A/C, original too!) & a nicely done 350-powered Toyota 4X4. Country living is grand. He also told me he'd unbury the 98 & leave it in my driveway for $25. Killer.

I just got that sucker running with the help of a 350 HEI distributor (a miracle after sitting close to 10 years in a field with no breather) & it runs strong. After it fired up (no exhaust), I put it into reverse & it spun both rear tires -- unbelievable, it was still full of transmission fluid...and I found out the car has Posi the fun way to boot. wink.gif

Although the parts-car's motor smokes right now, I am going to re-seal it, put a chain in it, & drop it in my LS. The LS engine will chill out in my basement & will be rebuilt by yours-truly...this will be a first for me -- what a great piece to "learn" on.

So, now, because of these two cars, I now have an e-bay search for '67 Oldsmobiles...well, a '67 Toronado showed up in my search earlier this week. It arrived last night about 1:30AM -- these cars are a disease! I'll post a picture of my new purchase in another thread.

Here's a similar shot of the Holiday sedan's interior. This is my parts car, obviously! I think this is a very attractive design. Note the round pillar dome lamp. Also notice the rear seat speaker. Passenger door lighters are rusted in place.

LS door panel. The parts car has the battery right now. Both cars have the remote mirror, power windows, & remote mirror. Neither car has power vent windows or power locks.

The LS interior is actually very nice other then some splitting on the driver's portion of the front seat & the bad spot on the driver's armrest. I need to wipe that junk off the vinyl.

LS instrument panel. Two accessory switches to left of column are for power antenna & courtesy lights. Both cars have courtesy lights under the dash, but only my LS as an extra switch for them. Strange.

I'll compare features on my next boring post.

My LS has:

2-way power bench seat

Power windows

425-4 engine (standard - single exhaust)

remote mirror

door courtesy lamps

A/C

AM radio

Vacuum power trunk

Extra courtesy lights on backside of front seat

Rear speaker

Holiday sedan has:

2-way power bench seat

Power windows

425-4 engine (standard - single exhaust)

remote mirror

speed-alert

A/C

AM radio

Rear speaker

positraction

Glove box emblems are different. Holiday sedan says Ninety-Eight Attachment shows LS emblem

Guest Shaffer

Thanks for posting those photos and explaining the differences. They are both very neat cars. I really like the interior styling of the "LS" better, but like the exterior (roofline) of the Holiday better. I think I like the more "squared off" roofline on the hardtop. Interesing too that the "standard" 98 has the "speed minder" option, but the fancier LS don't. Just another fine example of how oddly optioned these older cars can be.

Would you happen to know how rare it is for the late 60s Olds 98's to lack power locks?

The lower door courtesy lights on your Olds look identical to the ones on my 73' Pontiac Grand Ville. Someone on the Buick forums once told me that during the late 60s and early 70s, GM used the same door courtesy lights on several models. I think this is proof. Attached is a photo of the passenger front door panel on my 73' taken back in January of this year.

As I think I have mentioned before, my 69' Chevrolet Caprice has door locks- which is actually a rare option for these cars. Several had power windows, but the power locks were not as often seen. It reminds me of another 69' Caprice I was going to buy before I bought mine. My memory is a bit vague, but it had light monitors option as well as bumper guards, neither of which my car had, but it lacked hide-away lights, 396 engine, power windows, power locks, tilt wheel and disc brakes- all of which my car has. Both cars have A/C, power steering, power brakes and vinyl top. Hard to believe, but even in 1969, power brakes, as well as disc brakes were still optional on the 69 Chevrolets- even the top of the line Caprice. Even power steering was optional.

Guest Shaffer

Here is the door panel on my 69' Caprice. On the Olds 98s (late 60s) with this option- where they placed in the same place as the ones on the Caprice, or where they on the armrests?

Guest Shaffer

Here is a photo of my Caprice in that same area. It looks more like the roofline on your "Holiday" sedan, rather than the "LS".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a similar shot of the Holiday sedan's interior. This is my parts car, obviously! I think this is a very attractive design. Note the round pillar dome lamp. Also notice the rear seat speaker. Passenger door lighters are rusted in place. </div></div>

I have yet to see a '67 Olds with power locks! They seem to be a pretty rare option on pretty much any late 60's GM car. Unfortunately, I don't have an owner's manual for any of my '67 Oldsmobiles, so I can't tell you where the switch would go. I'm guessing it probably went high-up where yours is mounted, but that's mere speculation.

You need to stop posting pictures of your Caprice, ha-ha -- I really like that car! It's nice seeing one that has *not* been raped of it's big-block for a pickup or someones Chevelle-bastardization project. The '69 Chevrolet is such a handsome car, & those hideaway headlights really set them off.

Funny about those power brakes.. My '69 engineless Caprice was also a factory 396 car yet it came with manual drum brakes. Scary. I'd post pictures, but the car's still in AL.

Guest Shaffer

Sorry... grin.gif

That is very interesting about the door locks on the late 60s Oldsmobiles / GM cars. I did not realize it was a rare option on those cars. I was wondering why I had not seen many late 60s Caprice's with them. I will have to keep a look out for the locks on the late 60s Oldsmobiles.

I do not remember if you are on the Chevrolet forums- if so, you may recall someone on the Chevy forums has what I think is a very rare wagon. He has a 68' Caprice Estate wagon. Not only does it have power locks, but I think it also has power windows, power seat, tilt, cruise, FM radio, auto-climate control A/C, 3rd seat, 396 V8, turbo automatic, power steering, power disc brakes, and more. I think this is the same wagon, but it may be another I am thinking of.

Another odd one is a 68' Impala SS 2dr with power windows and locks, A/C and power seat, as well as power disc brakes/steering.

It is odd that your 69' Caprice does not have disc or power brakes, especially considering it has the 396 engine. I would say that is very rare. Yours is a 2-door right?

Not sure how odd it is- but my dad has a 69' Camaro that has manual disc brakes. It was originally a 6-cylinder car, with a 3-speed manual, but someone had already removed both, so he installed a 350 with a turbo automatic. He is planning on adding power steering and power brakes.

Interesting about your dad's '69 Camaro. Such beautiful cars. So tired of seeing resale-red, black, orange, & yellow ones though: they are all hot-rods or have the now-generic rally-wheels, stripes, & disc-brake center caps...some with the stupid spinners - BARF.

Many years ago, my dad bought my stepsister a rare '69 Camaro. It was an original Hugger Orange base coupe (black interior) with the 350-255hp engine, powerglide transmission (column-shift-yuk), Power steering/power brakes (probably drum), A/C, AM/FM monoraul radio, rear speaker, rear defroster, & wire wheel covers. No clock, remote mirror, console, or custom interior option.

You have to wonder who ordered these cars! This was back in the mid-eighties. I personally detest Hugger Orange, but it was an uncommon color...at least it was better than "Butternut Yellow" or the like.

My Caprice is a 2-door. Not sure if it had a vinyl top or not. Anyway, it came black with blue interior (strange). Options were 396, Turbo 400, Fiber Optic Lamp Monitors, Hideaway headlights, A/C, Power steering, & AM radio. Nothing else! The car had no wheels when I bought it so no idea on that.

No remote mirror, power brakes, etc. You walk up to the car & think it's loaded out. Inside is a major disappointment.

I searched a long time to find a big-block engine & transmission for the car, but gave up a few years ago.

Tony, you come from a time when most if not all cars were loaded with options. Up until the late 70s, a fully optioned car was the exception rather than the rule- especially on the lower-line GM cars. Dyked-out Chevrolets were an oddity as most dealers found loaded (read: expensive) cars a tough sell to the typical Chevrolet customer of the day.

Power locks were installed in something like 2% of production in 1969 after being introduced in Cadillac in 1962 and the other C-body cars in mid 1964. It was a vacuum operated system (electric power locks were introduced in 1971). Most all cars had the vacuum switches in roughly the same location on the upper door panel; some C & E body cars had them in the armrest with the power window and seat switches.

Power disc brakes came along in 1967 and were also a low-installation option until they were finally made standard on B, C & E body cars in 1970. None too soon in my opinion.

Who ordered the cars? Back then, you could get pretty much what YOU wanted on the car- no "Equipment Group I" bs where to get one thing you really want, you have to order the whole freaking package of stuff you don't want. Sometimes dealers ordered the cars, sometimes customers placed special car orders, sometimes the factory built stuff to pare down inventory of gadgets and then sent the car out the door for the dealers to try and sell it.

I think the weirdest option combination I ever saw was on a 1966 BelAir sedan. It had 283, PG and Comfortron. That was it. No PS, PB or anything else. Not even an AM radio. Found a 65 LeSabre sedan like that once too, nothing but a 6-way power seat though I think that one did have power steering.

Guest Shaffer

Now that you mentioned it- I think I remember you mentioning your sisters Camaro to me. It sounds like it was a nice car. I notice that you do not really like the column shift- but seems like it is rare- especially these days. Most have been converted to floor shift. A/C is a nice and fairly rare option on those cars as well. That hugger orange is a desired color now on those cars.

My grandmother had a 67' Camaro with a 6-cylinder, 2-speed powerglide (also on the column), with factory A/C and I even think it had tilt- which was very rare. Attached is a photo of that car, with me, mom and dad in 1979-1980. It was originally light blue, but my dad had to always turn a car into a "hotrod" back then. grin.gif In the background is my grandmothers old 73' Cadillac Eldorado. What a tank! She totalled three cars once with it and drove the Caddy home! Someone ran her off of the road- she lost contol- spun around, etc.

I think the 69' Camaros had 3 interior trim lines. Base, an upgrade and the "Custom" option. The "upgrade" added woodgrain trim on the driverside part of the dash. I really like the "Custom" option- which added even more woodgrain, which also covered a large part of the passenger side, it also added upgraded door panels, with lower door carpeting. I saw a couple like this at the local Super Chevy show a few weeks ago.

Interesting about your Caprice. The light monitors was an extremely rare option on these cars as you know. I once saw a set of those sell on e-bay a couple of years ago for over $500! Very interesting that your car has those, considering it is otherwise low optioned interior wise. At least it has A/C. That is a good important option. Have you considered dropping a 350 in it for now? I considered doing that to mine, until I can rebuild the 396, but I am hoping that I can find something simple wrong with it. I hope to have time to check it this week. Been too hot- supposed to be 96-98 degrees here on Monday and Tuesday- and thats not counting the humidity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting about your dad's '69 Camaro. Such beautiful cars. So tired of seeing resale-red, black, orange, & yellow ones though: they are all hot-rods or have the now-generic rally-wheels, stripes, & disc-brake center caps...some with the stupid spinners - BARF.

Many years ago, my dad bought my stepsister a rare '69 Camaro. It was an original Hugger Orange base coupe (black interior) with the 350-255hp engine, powerglide transmission (column-shift-yuk), Power steering/power brakes (probably drum), A/C, AM/FM monoraul radio, rear speaker, rear defroster, & wire wheel covers. No clock, remote mirror, console, or custom interior option.

You have to wonder who ordered these cars! This was back in the mid-eighties. I personally detest Hugger Orange, but it was an uncommon color...at least it was better than "Butternut Yellow" or the like.

My Caprice is a 2-door. Not sure if it had a vinyl top or not. Anyway, it came black with blue interior (strange). Options were 396, Turbo 400, Fiber Optic Lamp Monitors, Hideaway headlights, A/C, Power steering, & AM radio. Nothing else! The car had no wheels when I bought it so no idea on that.

No remote mirror, power brakes, etc. You walk up to the car & think it's loaded out. Inside is a major disappointment.

I searched a long time to find a big-block engine & transmission for the car, but gave up a few years ago. </div></div>

Guest Shaffer

Glenn- thanks for that information. You are right- by the time I started driving by myself (very early 1990s) most cars were "highly" equipped. It was only when I got my 72' Electra a little over 4 years ago that I realized how oddly optioned these older cars are- and it is really interesting to me. Seems like every week, I find one more oddly optioned. Which is a treat for me.

The only really "maxed out" optioned cars of the 70s I remember us owning back was our old 72' Lincoln Continental. It had every option available, except for the "Town Car" option- so even it was really not loaded out. I do not think "Town Car" was standard until 75'. We had a 76' Town Car- and I do think it had everything available however, but that was a long time ago- I do not recall the details.

Your right about the older Chevy's. I guess most Chevy buyers wanted a cheaper car- so a loaded model, would be a bit more unusual than say a Buick Electra.

It is interesting about the percentage of the 69' cars with power locks. I did not realize it was that low. I was thinking higher. I guess a 69' Chevrolet having that option would be most unusual. Thanks for that clarification.

That is what I hate about the newer cars- you have to order option packages, rather than individual options, but it seems these days, most people get the power/luxury options, even on small, cheaper cars, but having to order one option to get another sounds crazy. Back when I was looking for a new car- I was visiting the websites "build your own car" and most all have something that you have to order, in order to get a certain option. Like you said- dealers ordered some of those cars back then- makes you wonder why they would order a "plain" high end model, but it may have been a customer that ordered it that way, but even then- makes you wonder why they ordered what they did.

I know the owner of my old 72' Electra ordered it the way he and his wife wanted. Pretty much the basic luxury options. The only one that is a bit rare was the "finger tip" wiper control option, but we do get a lot of the afternoon storms here, so I can understand that option.

The owner of my old 73' Grand Ville also ordered it. He ordered it without cruise control. Not much highway driving, so he did not want/need that. He pretty much got everything else, except for power seat, cornering lights and FM radio. I wish it had those options however. grin.gif

I think it was much better just getting the options you wanted.

WOW- that 66' Bel-Air you mentioned was a very rare cookie indeed! I do not ever recall seeing a Bel-Air with that option, but it was obviously available. I have seen a few 67-68 Biscaynes (even plainer than Bel-Air) with A/C (standard however).

The Buick you mentioned sounds rare as well. Thanks for the info on the 62' Cadillac as well. I wondered what year power (automatic) locks were first offered. Was Cadillac the first? Thanks again!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tony, you come from a time when most if not all cars were loaded with options. Up until the late 70s, a fully optioned car was the exception rather than the rule- especially on the lower-line GM cars. Dyked-out Chevrolets were an oddity as most dealers found loaded (read: expensive) cars a tough sell to the typical Chevrolet customer of the day.

Power locks were installed in something like 2% of production in 1969 after being introduced in Cadillac in 1962 and the other C-body cars in mid 1964. It was a vacuum operated system (electric power locks were introduced in 1971). Most all cars had the vacuum switches in roughly the same location on the upper door panel; some C & E body cars had them in the armrest with the power window and seat switches.

Power disc brakes came along in 1967 and were also a low-installation option until they were finally made standard on B, C & E body cars in 1970. None too soon in my opinion.

Who ordered the cars? Back then, you could get pretty much what YOU wanted on the car- no "Equipment Group I" bs where to get one thing you really want, you have to order the whole freaking package of stuff you don't want. Sometimes dealers ordered the cars, sometimes customers placed special car orders, sometimes the factory built stuff to pare down inventory of gadgets and then sent the car out the door for the dealers to try and sell it.

I think the weirdest option combination I ever saw was on a 1966 BelAir sedan. It had 283, PG and Comfortron. That was it. No PS, PB or anything else. Not even an AM radio. Found a 65 LeSabre sedan like that once too, nothing but a 6-way power seat though I think that one did have power steering. </div></div>