Batavia Bound-Roadside Assistance

Guest imported_MrEarl

Guest imported_MrEarl

Hopefully no one will need it but if I can help anyone having problems on their way to Batavia within a few hours of Atlanta/Athens, Georgia, feel free to give me a call.

706-353-7421 706-263-2633

Amen, Keith!

Let me relate a story regarding my return trip from Flint two years ago in the '59 Buick. My wife and I were heading to Ludington, Michigan, where we would overnight in a bed & breakfast before catching the Lake Michigan Car Ferry to Manitowoc, Wisconsin.

Outside of Ludington, we suffered the first broken belts in one of our radial wide whitewall tires, and we limped into Ludington -- after most businesses had closed. That night, I pulled out my BCA roster, and looked up the BCA members living in Manitowoc, Wisconsin. I contacted both of them, and they each recommended the same tire and auto repair business in Manitowoc -- Tri-Motor Service.

From the car ferry, I contacted Tri-Motor Service and made arrangements to bring in the Buick after we docked in Manitowoc. As we drove off the car ferry, one of the BCA members whom we had called greeted us, and he instructed us to follow him as he drove his beautiful, original 1948 Buick Super to Tri-Motor Service. He stayed to make certain that there would be no difficulty having the car worked on, then he headed home.

A short time later, the other BCA member whom we had contacted stopped by Tri-Motor Service to confirm that we had arrived safely and that there was no problem. We thanked him for his concern, and he left.

We confirmed that the tire had suffered a broken steel belt, and we replaced both front tires with a pair of inexpensive radials. At the same time, however, we discovered that the passenger side front wheel bearing was damaged and needed to be replaced. This was not a huge surpise; we had already replaced the driver's side bearing on the way to Flint, and it had become evident that the alignment shop back home had over-torqued both front wheel bearings shortly before our departure to Flint.

Now, as it turned out, there were no front wheel bearings for a 1959 Buick available from any of the auto parts houses in Manitowoc, and it appeared that it might take as long as three days to locate the correct bearings. Here's the incredible part of the story. The grandfather of Tri-Motor Service's owner had purchased a new, Tawny Rose 1959 Buick Electra 4-door hardtop, and that car had been passed down to his grandson. In fact, the old Buick still sat in a garage outside of Manitowoc. Tri-Motor Service's owner drove out to grandfather's old '59 Buick, removed the front wheel bearings, and brought them back to install in our '59 Electra.

At this point, it was evident that we would be spending the night in Manitowoc. Not surprisingly, the BCA member who had greeted us at the car ferry called Tri-Motor Service. Hearing of our plight, this gracious gentleman drove over to our hotel that evening, and gave us a wonderful car tour of Manitowoc in his '48 Buick -- even treating us to ice cream at a historic ice cream parlor.

Need I mention that my wife had become terribly impressed by the "Buick Brotherhood"?

The following morning, we connected again with the BCA member to assure him that we were on our way west and everything was fine.

Our experience has confirmed Keith's point in a powerful way. Never leave home in your old Buick without the BCA roster in the car! And, if you have a problem and need to call someone, you are likely to meet a wonderful person.

Guest 53Nailhead

Keith, I don't have a roster, if anyone can shoot me some key contact #'s for NY state it would be great to have. I'm only about 4 1/2 - 5 hours from Batavia, but who knows!? I'll be heading down 81 to Syracuse then west on 90 on Thursday AM anyone goin' that time & route, always good to have a few more in a parade. Let me know.

Les

Happy 4th of July to all!! smile.gifcool.gif Can't wait to meet y'all

I'll be leaving Wednesday, from Albany NY on State Rt 20, at about 10:20 AM.

I'll be following Bill Wright's 38 Special Coupe with my 69 GS. Expect to arrive in Batavia around 5 - 6 PM. This will be a leisurely ride, 50- 55 MPH. Anyone coming this way is welcomed to meet at the Hannaford's Grocery Store on Rt 20/ Carmen Road ( Rt 146) intersection at 10- 10 :20 AM.

John D