Upstate NY Chpt May 29th Lawn show

JohnD1956

Without much ado, here are some pics of the cars:

My own old faithful

11481tn_lawn_show_at_saratoga_005.jpg

Here's Cliff Hays 23 3 passenger 4 cylinder coupe. this was our advertising theme car:

11481tn_lawn_show_at_saratoga_002.jpg

Dick and Ducky Matott were there first I believe. Figure that , they had the farthest to go:

11481tn_lawn_show_at_saratoga_003.jpg

We had a maximum of 15 cars. Not the biggest show but we had some stiff competition from the memorial day weekend and a large established show in Norwich NY

Duane Dodds 72 Skylark:

11481tn_lawn_show_at_saratoga_008.jpg

and the 80's were represented too

Jim Barber/ Chris timbers 87 GN:

11481tn_lawn_show_at_saratoga_025.jpg

Plus this 86 Regal T Type , whose owners name I did not get:

11481tn_lawn_show_at_saratoga_013.jpg

But that's not all.

Here's Steve Blacks 72 Electra:

11481tn_lawn_show_at_saratoga_012.jpg

Guest ZondaC12

oh cool i didnt know you got all those pictures! neat. hey what about the beautiful '39? frown.gif how dare you!? tongue.gif just kidding maybe you forgot or whatever it doesnt matter. we all know what a nicely restored 39 looks like, if not google image search is mighty nice.

you mentioned the mattots, i loved meeting them, mr mattot was great to talk to. he gave me a lot of reassuring advice in regards to my project. the best thing i heard from him was "oh shell start. you cant kill those straight eights." i was REALLY happy to hear that and have indeed discovered that for myself yesterday. (see my thread in the collectible tech restoration forum smile.gif)

he called my the day after the show and asked for my mailing address so he could send me a specific 1938 buick shop manual. i very much appreciate that he did that and its neat how he just happened to have it. he also said he just happened to have four nice whitewall tires that will fit my 38 that we will sell me, and that was great too.

that was a good lawn show, i loved all of the '60s musclecar era ones too, like your red gs400. very nice, as well as that 56. they really became big landyachts in that era. and you gotta love those huge bumpers too!

and wrapping up the last of my photos:

This awesome 47 woodie, whose owners name escapes me:

11481tn_lawn_show_at_saratoga_014.jpg

and my personal favorite, Ray Bucks 39 Special:

11481tn_lawn_show_at_saratoga_001.jpg

Inside the museum there was a wide array of cars of which I am only posting two photos here. they were all beautiful cars but I thought you might find these two extremely rare:

Ferrari:

11481tn_lawn_show_at_saratoga_041.jpg

No, your eyes are not decieving you. It is a childs car. Built by Enzo Ferarri's chauffer it sported a 5 hp electric motor and could do speeds up to 8 MPH. The car was a close replica of the real thing, and the Chauffer went on to form a company which produced just 100 of these fiberglass cars.

The other was this 1915 Brewster ( no it's not a new beer):

11481tn_lawn_show_at_saratoga_049.jpg

I found this car interesting because it looks like something right out of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. The plackard for this claims the car was sold in 1915 for $8,700 some odd. The chauffers compartment is open touring while the family rode inside the back compartment in NY City. The fenders are made of leather. And the engine was a 6 cylinder monstrosity. Couldn't be more opposite end of the Model T spectrum I don't think.

Anyway it was a small show but a ton of fun. It certainly caused some head turning on the main road behind us and it was a nice venture for our chapter. Thanks to the Museuem for having us that day!

11481tn_lawn_show_at_saratoga_010.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest imported_MrEarl

John,

somehow I didn't catch it the first time I viewed this post that this is your 56 Super. BEAUTIFUL car. cool.gif I love the lines on the 56's. Jim Taylors Coral convertible is gorgeous too.

Guest ZondaC12

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been watching your thread on the collectible forum. It is exciting watching a car come alive after all those years. How close did I call the price of your battery?

JD </div></div>

i forget what you thought it would be! i do remember you saying "worst case scenario $150". it was $88. a lot more than a new average 12v battery, but thats the way it is with classic car parts. and well worth being able to start the car!

I think I guessed $75.00. $150, worst case . Actually, that is not much more than a new GOOD 12V battery. Oh sure you can pick up a W-Mart special, but I've seen those unable to start a car in as little as six months. I'm glad you got a decent deal.

How's the exhaust coming?

Hey Mr. earl, thanks for the compliment. But it really isn't all that nice.

The digital camera is the car's best friend I think. Although I'm getting the itch to finish painting her. At best it will be a driver class car. Re-furbished, not restored. I do plan to drive her more, but I hope the price of fuel begins to drop some.

I see you got a 56 now too? I thought you were true to the 54's? But what's two years when they are that old. I guess you'll be keeping that AC unit now?

John d

Guest imported_MrEarl

Oh, this is the second 56 I've had. Had that red and white 2 door Century I bought for my son til he decided he liked his moms Isuzu Trooper and off roadin better. But I do really like the low silouhette (sp?) and the tail lights and even the 4 door hardtops of the 56's. But I really just bought the 55 and 56 to rescue them out of that field. I will be looking for good homes for them. I was trying to remember the other day who that was that had talked to me about the AC. It's still here if you ever want it. wink.gif

I appreciate that. I hope to liberate that from you someday. If you can hang onto it for a two year period ( that's when I plan to retire and can make the trip without time limitations).

John D

Guest ZondaC12

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I guessed $75.00. $150, worst case . Actually, that is not much more than a new GOOD 12V battery. Oh sure you can pick up a W-Mart special, but I've seen those unable to start a car in as little as six months. I'm glad you got a decent deal.

How's the exhaust coming? </div></div>

great! i dont know why i didnt think of it before, but my mom reminded me a couple days ago that my uncle bobby (her brother) works in a metal fabrication shop and so i called him yesterday and i ended up running the manifold over to him a few minutes later. he in fact can repair the flange. so thats really great. also, a very good friend of his works at a Midas on central avenue and he will call the guy and let him know i need an exhaust and well make arrangaments for me to go over there and have it done. my uncle told me that he will be able to produce something very close to the stock system including the muffler. so it will be SILENT again like it probably was before. ill have to see what it sounds like before i judge it, if its loud enough for me, because personally id like to keep it sort of loud, i really like the way it sounds. a big all american 8 cylinder (straight or a V) deserves to be loud. they sound good. not these stupid little 4-banger things with those fart cannons that blend all cylinders into one stupid annoying well farting sound! however, there was one guy with a grey 56 (dont know which model) and he started it up and upfront i couldnt believe how quiet the engine was but i walked to the back of it and there was a nice v8 rumble that was quiet but not silent, im sure if he revved it up you would have heard it pretty well. now if my car ended up sounding like that i think i would be very happy with it.

once he gets the manifold back to me, he has a set of those little ramps you can drive the front wheels of your car onto to lift it up, and i will borrow them because my dad's hydraulic floor jack only lifts the car up high enough to get the wheels almost an inch off the ground, even on a low point on the frame, and i need a lot more room to work on the brake master cylinder as well as im just not comfortable with the cars underside 2 inches from my face. not to mention pieces of rust falling off.

Be careful of those drive on ramps. Make sure they are on solid ground and straight. If you see any tipping, don't go under there.

As a better alternative I suggest you purchase a good jack and a set of adjustable jack stands. You can get these from Sears or any good parts store. This will give you a safer platform from which to work. If you have a lot of space between your jack and frame, you can always put a short piece of 2x4 on the top of the jack to take up that space. I just think the ramps are too shakey for my peace of mind.

Also if you are working outdoors and on asphalt, I suggest you purchase a piece of 1/2 " plywood, and cut yourself a few 12'x12' squares to place under the jacks. In the heat of the summer the jacks can sink into the asphalt of a driveway ruining the driveway but also impacting the balance of the car when it is raised. It doesn't hurt to do a longer one just wide enough for the jack to ride on as well.

John D

Guest sixpack2639

Quote: a big all american 8 cylinder (straight or a V) deserves to be loud. they sound good. not these stupid little 4-banger things with those fart cannons that blend all cylinders into one stupid annoying well farting sound!

FART CANNONS! I love it. Never heard that term before but it sure does fit! ROTFLMAO, Carl

Guest ZondaC12

i checked your member page and you filled in "retired" for occupation so it will make sense when i say that i guess its "kid talk" or something, but only among the not too many of us who think those exhausts are stupid. "fart cannon" or "fart CAN" whichever you prefer. i prefer "fart can" because i think its funnier and the things look like tin cans kind of, the outlet is as big as the muffler, which is a circle shape, not ovular, and it looks WAY out of place really on almost any car, usually because the cars pipe is like 1.5 inches and the fart can is like THREE so they have to use adapters and stuff and it makes no sense.

besides the main point which is it sounds crappy. i know someone that has a good performance exhaust system on a late 80's honda prelude, yes four banger but you hear the individual cylinders, im not sure if the tone is the same as stock, but id think so. its like errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and sounds great, i see him drive it around and wring it out occasionally.

the fart cans make a "WAAAAAWWWWWHHHHHHH" sort of sound, and you dont hear the individual cylinders and so many of my peers that love the whole modified-sport-compact car thing love these exhausts, thats what you find on all of them and ive hated them since day one. (modified-sport-compact is a "politically correct" or whatever term, i prefer "rice-rocket" or "ricer")

but what i like best is a big v8 or big v6 or a v-twin motorcycle. those are the best in my opinion. not so much the v6 but i prefer that actually to the sound of a 4.

John:

My wife and I got to tour the museum on Wednesday the 6th. They were featuring Bugattis. That type 57SC was incredible. Sorry we could not stop longer and maybe try to phone you we were pressed for time and had to get back to Rennselear by 6pm.

Guest ZondaC12

John,

id like to not skew this thread off topic too much and keep discussion of my car in its thread, so check there, im posting an update.

thanks

Those Bugatti's were supposed to be there for our Lawn show, but something happened and delayed them. It was too bad, I would have liked to have seen them.

Don't feel bad about missing us on the 6th. That was the day we left for the BCA Nationals in Batavia. If you come back to NY feel free to contact us if you have the time. We'd love to meet you and go to dinner or whatever.

John D.

Guest ZondaC12

ok, well i hope you understand i only meant that youre not a kid like me so you dont hear stuff like that a lot. although again its only used by people who hate the things, and there arent as many of these people as there are people who like those cars.