help! I'm not a millionaire and want to rebuild a 394

Okay, so here's the story: I got a 62 Old's ninety eight 4-door holiday sedan for a highschool graduation present five years ago from the original owner with 80k original and garaged for 15 years. About 3 years ago the engine went to hell and I have previously been engaged building my 67 LandCruiser which I sold to finance this project. I want to rebuild this engine and get it running because I am going to die someday with this car and don't want to have to wait until I am 65 and retired to be able to afford to work on it. I have about 1,200 bucks to get it into shape if anyone has any advice on how to do it on the cheap, where to get a good deal on a crate/rebuilt, or just converting the thing to a 350 or something--oh and for background I have advanced mechanic skills. The body and interior are spotless it's just the engine that needs a new life. Any help would save my project and give something to drive other than my scooter. Thanks!

What adds up in a rebuild is labor and parts. Tear down the engine inspect everything then determine what can be re-used. Clean everything you can yourself...Most likely you will need to have the crankshaft turned. Install new cam bearings and oil pump, lifters. Evaluate cylinders for wear. A big expense in a rebuild is having to buy new pistons. If the block needs boring then new pistons and rings are a must. Always have the big end of the connecting rods checked. Let the machine shop hot tank the block if it needs cylinders bored. As for the heads ya can have the valves refaced usually and the machine shop will re-do the seats. Valve spings and retainers are mostly resuseable. For assembly plasti-gage is used to see if the machinist did his job right with the crank and rod big end. Without anything major I believe you could do the engine for 1200.....

• 1 month later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> . Without anything major I believe you could do the engine for 1200..... </div></div>

That made me laugh because an engine rebuild kit from Kanter is $1300 - $1400 alone.. God forbid you want hardened seats. Around here it is $25 a seat to machine it and replace it.. Oh yeah, multiply that by 16. I've done 3 394's and it was no less than $3500 each by the time I was done. And that was me buiding it up by myself. I hate Chevy motors, but you can get 3 delivered to your house for the price of a 394 build up mad.gif

For parts try Terrill Machine Inc. 254-893-2610. Same exact parts as Fusick, Kanter, etc. but at about 1/2 the price. Specialty houses will just eat you alive if you let them. Here's some examples of prices from Terrill vs Fusick. Piston set $208 vs $465, lifters $6 vs $13, gasket set $80 vs $169, valve guides $3 vs $10, ring set $45 vs $75, and the list goes on but you get the point. You can probably get a lot of the parts from NAPA cheaper than the specialty houses.

I've rebuilt 2 Buick nail heads and am in the middle of an OLds 324 rebuild and they all are in the neighborhood of $1200. That's with me doing all the assembly except the cam bearings. The rebuild included boiling and shot blasting the block, rebore/pistons, all new bearings, lifters, etc, heads redone with the guides bushed and hard seats. Do your homework and be a knowledgeable shopper.......Bob.

Bhigdog....I see you shop around like I do for parts...Yes its quick and easy to go to the specialty guys and pay thru the nose for engine parts.....NAPA and discounts parts stores often have parts for the old engines at great prices...Ive built a couple of 425's recently for around a grand each and am getting the parts together for a 394 rebuild.....I had a 394 water pump rebuilt thru a chain store for 12 dollars....The parts guy double checked because he couldnt believe the price either but it was correct ..People who pay big bucks for parts they coulda got for much less shouldn't laugh....If I were them I would feel like a sucker!

Yup, why pay outragiously inflated prices to save a couple of minutes, especially in these days of Email and internet. Besides, half the fun of a restoration, for me, is doing for myself and being sharp about how much bang for the buck I can get. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying buy the cheapest P.O.S. you can find. Just buy and work SMART. For example, one interior parts supplier buys his materials from a another well known supplier and simply marks it up 100%. I bought the EXACT vinyl from the original supplier at $35 a yard, the other guy quoted me a price of $70, and told me frankly where he got it.......Bob.