dynaflow grinds in p & n?

Guest wildcat65401

Guest wildcat65401

Hi all,

So now my dynaflow has a new trick . It will grind in park or neutral but drive normally and then I'll come back to it ten minutes later and the grinding has stopped not to be heard for days or more???

Any ideas ?

And as usual if anyone knows of a shop in Atlanta ga that knows how to work on a dynaflow that would be great.

Happy motoring folks!

p.s. I think there is still a 63 wildcat 4dr ht w buckets and console [w tach] for sale here in Atlanta for under a grand . It needs paint , interior and the usual motor and trans work but......... I just thought you might want to know about it.

Thanks , Paul.

Guest imported_NikeAjax

Paul, what kinda car is this on? On mine, a 1956 Century, I had what I thought was a horible grind/rattle; "Mother f&%$#@ pile of junk!!!!!!!!" It turned out to be a very lose heate riser valve in the exhaust manifold, rattling.

I hope this was at least some help to you,

Jaybird

It sounds like your linkage is out of adjustment. This could be caused by colapsed or deteriorated motor and tranny mounts. My 56 used to slip in park occasionally. I never could trust it. Parking brake all the time.

I had all the mounts replaced and then the linkage adjusted, took the slip out of park but if rolling in neutral it will now sound like baseball cards hitting the spokes on a bicycle tire. Have to have another go at the adjustment.

John D

BCA 3757

Guest wildcat65401

Thanks for the info guys.

The car in question is a 1963 riviera. The motor and tranny mounts are new .

So hopefully it is something to do with the linkage , ever since it was "rebuilt" by some genius who I paid $1000 to [what does that make me! blush.gif]it has refused to go into park ever and it pops out of reverse if I dont hold it in place [wanna buy a car? wink.gif!] So how do I go about adjusting the linkage ? I suppose all that info is in the shop manual right ! Seeing as how the tranny repair guy "couldn't" get the linkage hooked up completely and I did , I'm better off trying this myself .

Also any of you who live in Atlanta !!! Some guys here in the east atlanta and little five points area have been on a old car stealing rampage so ....be careful!

See ya later

Thanks , Paul.

Paul,

Another thing to check is if they took off the console they could have put the center mounting ear on the wrong side (upper side) of the trans shifter. I had it on right on my Wildcat and when the upholstery guy did my carpets he put it on the wrong way. When my car was in his driveway, on a slope, it rolled down the hill smashing into his 49 Chevy. My bumper and exhaust were damaged but his car was completely wrecked. I can't explain too much better than that, just take the console indicator off and check to see if by any chance the console can go down a bit further to the floor, thus changing the geometry of the gear shift in the groove in the indicator. Good luck,

Mike

Guest wildcat65401

Thanks Mike ,

I think I'll check your suggestion first ! If it works it seems like the easiest fix .

Is the console indicator the chrome piece with the gears marked on it that surrounds the actual shifter ? I just want to be sure I understand what you mean .

Thanks , Paul.

PS. Anyone in Atlanta ga that might be interested ! There is a 65' wildcat 2dr ht for sale over here with a siezed engine , it also needs a hood and trunk lid . But ! it is only around $500. Just in case anyone needs one !

Also any fans of rockabilly / rat rod type shows may want to check out the "5th annual psycobilly car crash " car show at Mulligan's in Decatur ga this Sunday. Its usually fun . And then of course I'll be off to the starlight six drive-in . My favorite place to go .

See ya'll there