Turning engine for checking valve play?

Guffin

How do I best turn the engine when checking the valve play? The car is a Buick 40-56S but the engine is from 1953. There is no hole for a crank and very little room under the hood to reach the front of the crankshaft (torsion damper). Will be happy for advice, thank you.

Jan

Don't know if it will work for you but we use to pull the starter and use a large screw driver against the teeth of the flywheel.

I cranked the engine in short bursts to turn the engine. The downside was that I had to turn it over and over before I could adjust the #7 valves (if I remember correctly). Every engine has a tendedncy to stop its rotation at the same location every time. For a moment I thought I had shaved off the #7 cam lobes!

Thank you all three. I will first try to take out the spark plugs and turn by the fan. It seems most easy. If it does not work I will remove the starter.

By the way, how silent should a restored Buick -53 straight 8 be? I think my valves are too noisy but I have nothing to compare to. It has hydralic lifters and I will check if the valves are correctly adjusted.

Jan

Guest Straight eight

Hold the phone!! There is a procedure to set hydraulic valve lifters. Do you have a manual that explains the operation? When the engine is running with the hood closed and the engine at an idle, the tappets should be barely heard.

Why are you trying to adjust the tappets? Will the car run now? If so, with a warm engine, change the oil and filter, fill with high detergent 30 weight, and a quart of marvel mystery oil and see if it doesn' smirk.gift quiet down.

Yea, I have a manual. Motor's Auto Repair Manual from 1953. I read how they should be adjusted. I suspect the valve noise is a little too loud as you can hear it clearly with closed hood.

The engine was restored 1,750 miles ago. the oil looks very clean so perhaps it is not a detergent oil. Unfortunately I can't find Marvel Mystery Oil in Sweden. Anyhow, it is time for an oil change and I will chose a detergent oil.

Jan