Brake Work Fiasco

farnelle

Recently flushed the brake fluid on one of my 90 coupes. Before the flush everything worked fine and the car passed the brake test. After the flush I had both a red and amber light that would not go out. Tried all the usual fixes and nothing seemed to work. Car drove and stopped fine. Finally in reading the Teves manual, I notice that low fluid will activate both lights.

I pulled the low fluid sensor lead and the red light went out. Then I jumped the anti-lock sensor pins on the low fluid lead plug and the amber lights went out. Replaced the fluid reservoir and replugged the low fluid sensor wire and everything now works fine.

Now I realize the while suctioning out the fluid during the flushing process, I damaged the low fluid sensor. The moral of this story appears to be to drain the fluid by disconnecting the hose at the bottom of the reservoir.

Ed's method is the best way but I would like to add a way of disconnecting the hose. The hose from the reservoir comes out of the bottom of the reservoir and loops around and connects on a plastic tee on the pump. This "T" will break if you pull on it too hard. The best way I have found is take a knife and cut the hose as close to the "T" as possible and then cut the remaining one inch or so of the hose off the "T". The hose is plenty long enough to slide it back up on the "T"after all the fluid has run out of the res.