Digital Dash Mystery... Scooby Doo, where are you?

Jibby

Okay, so I did some work on the Reatta, yesterday. It was happy to see the light of day... although the various spiders that were living on it, were really pissed that they no longer had a home. I changed a headlight, to match the one that I had already replaced. I've been having a problem with the digital dash... sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Usually, it just states ERROR in the mileage box and nothing else is visable... HOWEVER... I was screwing around with the turn signal and I "accidentally" touched a wire that seems to go from the steering column into the switch/end-cover of the signal lever. The dash worked perfectly??? Everything came up, even the mileage. I'm confused. It can't be that simple... something is strange here. The wire looks to be stock, not some jury-rigged contraption. I have no idea why a loose connection inside the steering column would effect the digital dash in such a manner.

Anyone have any ideas as to the reason for this mysterious happening?

Today I was working on one of my parts cars and I knew it had a bad cluster (1990)

I pulled the connectors out of the dash as far as I could and then plugged in the display again (outside of the dash). It works fine now.

I have always wondered if those connectors were not really getting a good connection because of the way they are mated by pushing the display into the dash.

Just an idea to try before replacing.