1921 Light Six

I have been recently working on a "light six" of 1921 vintage which was experiencing some over heating problems. (see my post on the AACA general board). Concurrent with the cooling system maintainence I discovered the end frame of the generator (Remy) was severly deteriorated. Does anyone know of a source for a replacement for these diecastings?

I had the same problem with the Remy generator in my 1924 Light Six, the previous owner tried to epoxy the end plate back together. It worked for a while and then fell apart, not something you want to have happen on the road. This is a real problem with these generators; the pot metal used back then didn't stand up to time and moisture. As far as I know no one is reproducing those parts. The best I can recommend is to look for a decent whole unit. Try to find a Light Six "Wagner" generator, they still used pot metal but seem to have a much better survival rate.

stude24....Thanks for your reply. I am going to try to get my machinist to mill up a replacement for my end plate. It will not look exactly like the original diecast units but should work OK. I was hoping someone had addressed this problem in the past and there was a source for replacements. This will not be an inexpensive proposition; however, it should solve the issue. Also, does anyone have a repaclement dstributor drive gear for this car?

• 3 weeks later...

My machinist produced two of the end frames...one for me and one for Bluetaxi. They were machined out of solid billetts of aluminum; as I mentioned they were not cheap...$600 each. They look quite good; although not exact copies, but are quite functional.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest imported_Robert Kapteyn

I stock brass replacement gears for most Stude distributors back to 1913.$80.00 Postpaid.

We stock many parts back to 1915.

Joliet Studebaker Service

112 Bissel Street

Joliet IL.60432

studebaker@mac.com