What exactly is Fluid Drive?

I know some of you may think it's a stupid question. Please forgive me!!! I'm still waiting to get my '41 Dodge moved up here and since it doesn't run I won't be able to try "Fluid Drive" for awhile. I've heard it is in essence a semi-auto transmission but what does that mean to someone driving it? I've been looking through my books & stuff and it doesn't really say. Anything special to note on one sitting for 20 years? I read the post on the types of fluid to use which was very informative. I'm just inpatiently waiting for my car & manual & just have to know! Thanks!

The names can be a little confusing when they're thrown around out of sequence.

Fluid Drive is a fluid coupling between the engine and the clutch. It's like a turque converter on an automatic transmission, but it does not have the additional elements that make it a true torque converter.

Fluid Drive allows you to come to a stop without pressing the clutch, and you can take off in Third gear if you want, but it's hard on the car, and it'll use a lot of gas.

On a Dodge, you'll have an ordinary three-speed manual transmission behind your Fluid Drive, and you'll shift it like you would any other manual transmission by pressing the clutch. Fluid Drive by itself wasn't really meant to be an automatic transmission. It was meant to smooth out the power and take the strain off the drivetrain and to give you better controld of the power on ice or mud. Chryslers and DeSotos had self-shifting gearboxes behind the Fluid Drive beginning in 1941, and these are the semi-automatics you've been reading about. These automatic gear boxes evolved through various stages through 1954, and Dodge got the M-6 version in 1949 under the nam Gyromatic.

You will find that First gear on your transmission is really low, and you'll probably do most of your driving in Second and Third. When you're at a stop, you'll put it in Second, let out the clutch, and idle through the Fluid Drive. When the light goes green, you'll take off like you would with an automatic, shift once into Third, and be on your way.

If the car is in good shape, you'll find that it steers and corners really nicely, and they stop really well, too.

It's a good car. Ask all the questions you want, and we'll help.

JON

For your question about it sitting for 20 years...

It might leak. If it does, you'll feel it. It will be like a slipping clutch after it leaks for a while. This is because it will loose the fluid to drive the little propellers inside. Just keep your eye on it; it might be just fine.