leaf spring design

avantey

I am starting a restoration of a 1916 Hupp and need to have new rear springs made. Are there engineering/design reasons for the shaping and tapering of the ends of leaf springs? This will be an accurate restoration so I also need to find a spring shop that can still do this work. Modern shops seem to prefer square ends. Any ideas out there?

Guest De Soto Frank

Modern spring shops prefer square ends because it means they have to do less work when rebuilding the spring.

To taper then ends of the leaves requires grinding and some careful craftsmanship; most spring shops either don't have the expertise or don't feel "they can make money" on such a job.

I would hold-out for a shop that will make them to original specs. After all, this should be the only set of springs you put on this car...

I can't cite the engineering reasons for tapered leaves in older springs, but I'll bet someone here will come up with the answer...

Good luck!

avantey...An aside, M.T. Publishing Company just came out with " The Hupmobile Story From Beginning to End" by Bill Cuthbert"; great book! I just finished reading my copy. M.T. Publishing is located in Evansville, Ind.