Reatta glass replacement

I just emailed these folks.<BR>Nichols Mfg. Inc.<BR> 4277 W. 5th Ave.<BR> Eugene, Oregon<BR> <A HREF="http://www.nichols-mfg.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.nichols-mfg.com/</A> <BR>It seems that they are able to make glass for just about anything. From what I have been hearing having a spare set of vent windows may be a good thing. Would you other posting folks perhaps like to go in on an order?<BR>Natasha <BR><P>------------------<BR> <A HREF="http://www.ciscobot.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ciscobot.com</A>

Definitely! Any idea of cost? Their web page says they have 5000+ patterns on computer; do you know if our vent windows are there? Thanks for pursuing this.<P>Ron

Guest Stan Leslie

Their website specifically refers to flat glass. The originals were curved, but I suppose flat glass would be better than plexiglas if the curved frame would accept the flat glass.

Nichols Mfg. an update!<BR>Tammy called me and well it seems like they have been all of a sudden getting requests for Reatta glass.<BR>I wonder where that came from?<P>They can do it in FLAT glass only, rats.<BR>Will flat glass fit? <BR>They also don't have a pattern so if anyone has a tracing they'll make one.<BR>If any of you good folks would be willing to sent a pattern to Eugene, Oregon that would be nice.<BR>Otherwise, I'll pop mine out this winter when the car goes up for storage.<BR>Oh the cost is about 50 bucks.<BR>Natasha<P>Tammy just called me back with an update.<BR>Yes they can cut curved glass!!!<BR>What they need to do this is to have a couple of vent windows to use for curve matching.<BR>If anybody lives near Eugene, Oregon and wants to take a little drive.......<P>.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Natasha (edited 07-13-2000).]

I too have tried to find a company that might consider making the vent windows for us Raattans. No luck. I also own a 56 Continental Mark II of which only 3016 were built in two years of production, and if need be, I can get a new windsheild and rear glass. It seems odd to me I can get a windsheild for a rare car that is over 40 years old, but we can't get glass for one the in some cases is less than 10. I'm lucky, my vents are fine, but it would be nice to know I could get new ones if I ever needed to replace them. Let's keep our fingers crossed that this firm may be of help to all of us. Howard

My contact person is Tammy and the phone number is 800 248-3378<BR>Like they told me they would be happy to make a bunch of these for about 50 bucks a pop flat and a little more curved.<BR>Perhaps those interested (like myself) in having replacement glass should call them.<P>Hit while the iron's hot!<BR>Natasha<P>

Guest Greg Ross

Natasha,<BR>Two Problems-this glass requires the triangular opening for the side mirror mounting, this will definitely add some to the cost. The other issue is it not possible to remove this glass intact from the frame, one will have to be sacrificed ie; the frame destroyed to extract the glass. This assembly is known as an encapsulation. Lof manufactured these fixed glass vents and shipped them to another contractor for assembly. Whether it's considered vulcanized or not I do not know but the frame and the glass are moulded in rubber material together, permanently. GM sold replacements as the complete assembly-frame and all. From my recent experience installing Plexiglass as a temporary measure to get mobile again, if the pattern and curve are correct this should work. The procedure I have recorded for installing Plexi is available, it would be escentially the same routine. Anyone interested E-mail me for a copy.<BR>Greg<p>[This message has been edited by GM Ross (edited 07-15-2000).]