A/C Conversion

Guest MauiWowee

Guest F14CRAZY

One gentleman recently (within the past week) said that his Buick dealer did it for $54. Fifty something, I know. That is of course you don't need new parts, or they can't talk you into buying some new parts.

Mine's cold but keeps having low freon charge messages, and sometimes will disable the compressor. It's getting filled back up tomorrow, for two cases of Cherry Coke. My dad has like a dozen old cans of R12 cool.gif

Guest F14CRAZY

Hmmm...someone got saying that the cost of R12 has actually dropped, because demand for it has fallen because everything has R134a. But I don't know. It might not be readily available.

Some Explorer dudes of mine were actually talking about converted from R134a to R12 shocked.gif

My dad bought the cans right before R12 was pretty much outlawed in the early 90s

If you can get you hands on R-12 at a good price and it doesn't need much I would stick with the R-12.

If you are not get good cold air flow you may have a plugged evaporator. They get cover with a fuzzy gunk that blocks the air flow and insulates the evaporator.

Guest spongebob

r12 is alive and doing well its on e-bay all the time its not illegal and you can buy it as long as you have a certificate to do so...

The one thing to watch for in the conversions is if any parts are marginal, the higher pressure in the 134 system may cause a failure. Just happened to a friend of mine on a '93 Buick. It cooled very well but the compressor seized after ten days. If the system is just a little low, I agree that sticking with the R12 is a better deal.

Guest F14CRAZY

When I took off the cap of my AC system, there was a "pssssht" of escaping freon through the shrader valve or whatever. I describe it as being like a tire valve stem. Is it just like a regular valve core? Can I screw it out and replace it?

Guest spongebob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I took off the cap of my AC system, there was a "pssssht" of escaping freon through the shrader valve or whatever. I describe it as being like a tire valve stem. Is it just like a regular valve core? Can I screw it out and replace it? </div></div>

why not try tightening it 1st..

Guest F14CRAZY

I thought about that; tightening the shrader valve. I'm gonna do that.

I was a bit on the lighter side with that question though. Don't worry, I'm not actually that dumb

Guest F14CRAZY

Yup. Took a can of R12 and two 12 packs of Cherry Coke to my mechanic and he pumped it back up. He also got out his sniffer and found a tiny leak near the firewall, and he tightened that and the shrader valve up. It's putting out air at about 45F. Yay. Gotta keep my cool

Maybe, but I doubt it. I suspect it may have been oil related though. The whole reason for the change was a leak in the evaporator that coated the surface with oil and stuck on junk so air flow was seriously reduced. The a/c tech convinced him to changeover since the whole system had to be purged and taken apart, and that does make sense. The compressor may have died even if he stayed with R12. I do suspect some of the cases where compressor failure followed a changeover was the system had been running for some time in a less than perfect state, and it was only a matter of time. Not too many people take a system that is operating properly and deliberately spend money to change to something it wasn't designed for.