SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT.....

WHEN I TURN OFF THE IGNITION IN MY 89 COUPE THE "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" LIGHT WILL LIGHT UP FOR ABOUT 10 SECONDS, THEN TURN OFF. IS THIS NORMAL OR SHOULD I BE CONCERNED?

What codes come up? That used to happen to me quite often also. Of course, at that time, I didn't check the codes. Best of luck!

I'll take an educated guess on this "light" problem. I'm not sure about Reatta, since I haven't bought the "91" I'm going to keep forever, YET. My guess is the light is somehow connected to the miles you have on the car and is there for emission reasons. I've had three Volvo's and a four wheel drive in the past that have had the "Check or Service" engine light come on. If the car is running good (like mine were), all you have to do is get a flashlight, lay on your back and check under the dash on the driver's side. Somewhere, in sight, should be a small black (or silver) box with a switch on it. If you flip the switch once, you reset the light for the next preset odometer criteria. Like I said at first, this is just a guess. Someone out there must know for sure if this is right or not. I can understand why this may not be hooked up with all the regular Reatta "code" readouts. Good Luck.

Don't know if anything is wrong or not, but our '89 does the exact same thing and we show no current codes. I'm assuming there is no problem unless the light comes on while she's running.

My 89 does the same thing. I was informed by a Buick tech that this is normal. He explained that when the engine is shut down a number of sensors are waiting for signals that never comes. The ECM "orders" the sensors to shut down because the engine is not running and ignition power is off, at that point the engine light turns off. I don't know if he knew what he was talking about, but I have no codes and what he said makes some kind of sense.

Not to worry. If you have the owners book look inside under setting the alarm. that is why the light flashes. Try leaving the key in the ignition turned to acc.with the driver side door open push the power lock on the door and the light should go solid for a few seconds. Remove the key close the door and your Reatta should have the alarm set. To test it leave your passanger door window down, reach in and unlock the door manuly. the horn should start blasting. You will need to unlock the driver side door with the key to shut it off. Let me know if this trick.

Brad, what you describe is the 'security' or alarm lamp, the origional question was the CE lamp. It's my understanding that this lamp (CE) will stay lit after shutdown for a few seconds. I've got three of these Buick's, and they all do the same thing. No codes are set.

Harry: Your right what was I thinking? guess I should wait until after that first cup of coffee before making any comments. Thanks for setting me straight.