Polishing the Tail Light Lens

I know there have been numerous suggestions on the cleaning of oxidation of the the tail light lens but I would to add my suggestion.<BR>I have found a highly EFFECTIVE and CHEAP way to clean and polish the lens. First is to use Turtle Wax Chrome Polish as a first step to remove most of the oxidation. As this leaves very fine scratches I follow up with Crest regular Toothpaste (yes, toothpaste is a fine polish)to remove any fine scratches. My tail light lens looks spectacular without having to run around looking for "special" lens cleaner/polish compounds

Brad, got to try that s**t and see if it works. Quiet as it's kept that is something that has botherd me from day one, but I never told anyone. I'll let you know the results.<P>------------------<BR>

Polishing Compound (finer than rubbing compound) worked great on mine). Your method sounds cheaper though. I think some chrome polish smells nasty, like it has high ammonia content, so I tend to use other things that aren't as noxious.<P>

A couple of weeks ago I was at a carshow with my 90 and another guy parks behind me with his 90. Right away I noticed his clear lenses and got to talking to him about it. He had a cleaner by Mcguires which he let me use on mine. Within 5 minutes or so mine looked as good as his. They went from hazy to clear without much work.

I found that the best thing to use is ELBOW GREASE! Any number of polishing compounds work (I use a scratch remover product)but only if you rub and rub and rub (and I'm not trying to be obscene here)LOL wink.gif

I have just bought a bottle and it's just labeled as Mcguire's cleaner wax.As I said it is a liquid and they say that it removes small scratches, which it did do on my lenses. Cost was $4 and change.

I bought a bottle of McGuires #2 polish,<BR>they also sell wax, but the #2 polish is<BR>what you want. Trust me, that stuff is<BR>GREAT! For less than $5 your tail light<BR>lens will look as good as new. No elbow grease required - honest! It works in a<BR>couple minutes. Probably the best $5 I can remember spending lately.<BR>Try it - you too will be amazed. I got<BR>my bottle at Advance Auto Parts. It's<BR>tan colored.<BR>Jim Houston<BR>Charleston, SC

Once it's polished with McGuires, I think the McGuires wax is probably the best thing for it. I haven't bought the wax yet, but I did notice that when I went back over the tail light to wipe off some 409 spray (I was cleaning around the trunk area) it streaked the lens some. I'm now thinking the McGuires wax applied immediately after the polish would have been the ticket. Maybe any wax will work the same way, but that would be my suggestion. That McGuires #2 polish is great!<BR>Jim Houston<BR>Charleston, SC

If you are looking for what is being recommended here in you auto parts store, look for Meguiar's #2 which is a polish.<BR>Meguiar's #1 is a cleaner which I only use on my clearcoated painted surfaces. <BR>The next stage on clearcoated painted surfaces is the #2 Polish which also works terrific on the upper rear tail lamp lense which gets dull. <BR>The last stage is #3 which is a Carnuba wax which is used on clearcoated painted surfaces. We also used it on our tail lamp lense but it does not stop the lense from dulling. <BR>We need to use the #2 polish about once a year even though the 90 conv is only taken out to shows several times a year.<BR>We have also bought Mother's Plastic Polish to try this year. Have not tried yet.<BR>An acquantance also sent us a sample of a product that they sell. Since we moved offices we have not been able to locate that small package but will be looking for it in the next month or so when we have the time to start unpacking the moving boxes.

At one time a user recommended a preperation that is used to clean plexiglas windshields on general aviation aircraft. Does anyone remember what that was?

On Jan 27 DRBuch2000 wrote:<BR>I have found a fix for the plastic lens on the rear of my 1989 Buick Reatta. You'll have to visit your local airport or know your local auto parts person well enough to get him to special order. It is Permatex 902 which is made for airplane windshields (which are plastic). Just rub it on hard and thick. Let it dry to a fine white powder and rub it off. You'll really be surprised! It even removes small scratches and brings back the clear plastic look! What is nice about it also is that it leaves a coating that causes water to run off similar to RainX on glass. It comes in a blue and white metal can. If you have to order, do it. It is worth the wait! <BR>

I bought some plastic/glass polish at Walmart for a couple of $ and it worked great. Eastwood sells some stuff that is more expensive but it supposedly will work on deeper scratches.

After I polished our lens until it was clear, I washed it, dried it, then applied several thin coats of clear lacquer spray, obtained from the paint section of our local parts store. After a year, it is still clear with no further work involved.

Guest Dolores

This may be a silly question, but do you have to remove the lens to clean it properly? And if so, how?

You do not need to remove the lens. The clear area to be cleaned is accessible enough in situ. The outside of the lens is the only part that gets cloudy, usually. If you have water in the lens, that's a different story.<BR>

I tried Plexus, a plastic cleaner available at autosupermart.com It really works, but you still need some elbow grease for great results. People on the autosupermart website message board rave about this stuff on all plastic parts but I only tried it on the rear lens.