Choice of '58 Limiteds on Ebay

Centurion

I seldom check Buicks offered on Ebay, except for the '59's. On occasion, however, I monitor auctions for two of my favorite 1950's era Buicks: the '54 Skylarks and the '58 Limiteds.

I've been surprised this week to see three '58 Limiteds offered, including two convertibles. It will be fun to watch these to see the levels that these cars are bid to.

The first Limited convertible has bid to more than $62,000 already, but the "Buy It Now" price is nearly $112,000. I suspect that the reserve is similarly high. This car is unlikely to meet reserve, but it does appear to be a beautiful Limited. I particularly like the metallic green used for '58.

5.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

Here's the auction: Green '58 Limited Convertible

A white convertible has just surfaced, and this appears to be a nice car. This may be an original car, although that is not clear from the auction. There's some serious competition here for the green car, and I'm guessing that this one is offered with a significantly lower reserve.

buick30.JPG

buick19.JPG

Hmmm, I wonder if the windshield wipers are stuck in the position shown. Here's the auction: White '58 Limited Convertible

Let's face it. These cars will be permanently beyond the grasp of many of us here. Perhaps the '58 Limited 4-door Riviera is a better prospect. Without a single photo, however, this one will draw no attention on Ebay. But it can be bought for a mere $220,000, and I'm very curious whether the seller made a typo or whether that's really his expectation. The auction starts at $10,000, and there are no bids. Here's the auction: '58 Limted 4-door

Guest sintid58

I saw the one with no pictures, He's not to far from you is he Brian. I sent him a note saying he was unlikely to get any bidders without pictures and he never answered me. You have to wonder just how serious he is about selling it don't you. I mean that kind of money for the car and he won't even get a digital camera to take pictures.

What is your definition of ugly. As a guy who loves cars from the'50's, as you appear to do, is not the amount/ quality of chrome a factor? Personally, and yes I know what opinions are like and how we all have them, the '58 Limited is the ultimate Buick as far as style, class, and quantity of chrome. If ever given the opportunity, once my children are all out of the house, and the resources, a '58 Limited is a "must" for me.

it is just there to be chrome. The previous year Roadmasters are absolutely gorgeous. The chrome sweeps with the body line-----Same thing with the Oldsmobiles. Buicks from '49 to '57 were ,IMO, beautiful cars---as was the '59.

But I sure don't care for the '58.

I really dig the 58 Limiteds. I personally have a 58 98 coupe, and to me it is one of the coolest looking cars made. 58 Buicks and Oldsmobiles are overstated, overchromed, over the top, and perfect. the 57s are very cool, as are the 59s, but the 58s (Buicks and Oldsmobiles) just do it for me. But, that is why they made so many different looking cars to choose from, some may like the look of one particular car while others do not. Just like AWBE, you have to know what you like (or don't).

Matt

It's interesting to see that the green car topped out at over $71,000, but failed to meet reserve. The white convertible was bid to over $40,000 before the auction was ended early. This suggests that the car was sold directly to a buyer outside of Ebay. It would be fun to know what it ultimately sold for. And, as expected, the auction with no photos has attracted no bids.